Synology DSM 7

Re: Synology DSM 7

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
@Michael, you DON'T need Synology's package to run a Moodle on your device. As long as you have Apache, PHP and MariaDB (which is compatible with MySql). I include, as a matter of course, phpMyAdmin, which gives me access to my MariaDB. Should work even if you put the Moodle on a different Volume, oh btw, the new Moodle database was placed in the same Volume as the original, Volume 1, whereas my Moodle is on Volume 3.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Eric Osborn -
I've installed Moodle 3 and 4 on a Ubuntu machine; however, I can't get anything Moodle related to work on Synology. Please, anybody make a guide on how to do this. Or, just make a video of you doing a run through install. I got the Ubuntu system running in less than 10 minutes, some (smarter than myself) must have the knowledge and skills to make a quick YouTube video and save all the people in forums weeks and months of agony and frustration.
In reply to Eric Osborn

by Colin Fraser -
Okay, yes, I can understand the frustration, so assuming you're using the DSM 7+ package, it may be better to putty into the NAS, login as the SuperUser and install the Moodle from there. I would suggest not to use the Synology Moodle package, I haven't for years, but rather download and install the latest but one Moodle package from Downloads. You can download using your normal browser/net connections then just copy it to the Moodle directory on the NAS. Check to see if you already have a Moodle database running, if not, then I seriously recommend the MariaDB rather than any other database, seems to work better in the Synology environs than others. Once you have a db shell created, run the Moodle setup via your SU role. Once installed, your desktop OS should be able to access and use Moodle. (I can make a video via the Dark Side OS, but that would not help you at all, I suspect, sorry.)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Eric Osborn -
Thanks. I was using putty, Apache2, MariaDB, phpadmin, and web station. I tried a lot of guides I found but, still couldn't get it to install. The Docker bitnami kept failing due to an environmental variable (which I can't change in Docker).

I recently installed Moodle on a Windows machine, because my Ubuntu machine is old and slowing down.
In reply to Eric Osborn

by Colin Fraser -
You could keep the ubuntu as a headless server, perhaps. I have my test Moodle set up on my Synology NAS and have no issues with it. I access it via a Windows 7 desktop or Win 10 laptop. I have installed Samba on the desktop but can't recall doing it on the laptop, must have... otherwise Windoze would be spitting the dummy trying to talk to nginx