Is there a plugin for students to rate URLs and Resources?

Is there a plugin for students to rate URLs and Resources?

by John Andre -
Number of replies: 11

I've used the Heatmap plugin and find it works really well to tell me what my students are using. For example, I post a lot of URLs and Resources in my course for students to use. Heatmap tells me which of those are being used and which are not. However, what I really want to know is how useful students think those URLs and Resources are.

Is there a plugin that would allow students to add a rating (1-5 stars, or even just a thumbs up vs thumbs down) to URLs and Resources (maybe even quizzes)?

I see Rate A Course works for courses but I really want to know item by item of what I add to my course.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andre

Re: Is there a plugin for students to rate URLs and Resources?

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi!

That’s exactly what we’re currently developing 🙂

We call it learning tools and it’s a framework for various actions the learner needs in our view. Initially, we’ll provide two essential tools, bookmarks and notes. Rating is going to follow soon. 

Let me know if you want to beta test the plugin once it’s ready!

Also, we’ve built a little filter to rate anything and everything on moodle already. We haven’t officially released it yet, but if you’re interested, I can make it available for you.

Best

Stefan 

In reply to Stefan Scholz

by John Andre -
Hi Stefan,

I'm curious how the filter works. Yes, I am interested.

Thanks,
John

by John Andre -
If you prefer email: john.andre at isneu dot org

by Jeffrey Sonnefeld -

Hi Stefan,

I just came across this forum and was wondering if you had an update on the Learning Tools plugin.  I too am interested in beta testing once it is available as I am trying to find out how I can have my students rate all resource and activity pages in a course to give feedback to the author of the resource.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Sonnefeld

In reply to Jeffrey Sonnefeld

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jeffrey,

you can get Learning Tools here: https://bdecent.de/product/learning-tools/
It has the following tools:
  • Bookmarks — Create a bookmark for courses, activities AND pages within activities
  • Notes — Create notes for courses, activities AND pages within activities
  • * Schedule — Add an event into your calendar to plan your learning 
  • * Focus mode — Let learners (temporarily) hide everything except for the content to focus on the content; also helpful for mobile! 
Learning Tools Pro can be purchased here: https://bdecent.de/product/learning-tools-pro/
In addition to bookmarks and notes it has the following tools:
  • Invite – Enrol students easily via email address (in bulk), with an option to register an account if required
  • Force activity — Automatically redirect students to a specific activity until the activity is completed
  • Information — Display course summary and image in a modal
  • Email — Email your participants by role, with support for attachments
  • Resume — Return to the last exact page with the click of a button
  • * Custom CSS — Let teachers add css to their courses easily 

There are capabilities for each tool, i.e. admins can decide which tool shall be available for which role. Tools marked with an asterisk are currently under development and will be available shortly.

The plugin I mentioned above is Star ratings and is available here: https://bdecent.de/product/star-ratings/
It's a simple filter which you can use to rate anything in moodle by simply adding the filter to it. The available shortcodes are:

ratingDisplay rating stars, allows user to click stars to add rating, rating will remain as user’s selection[rating]
currentratingDisplay numeric rating[currentrating]
getratingDisplays read-only star rating[getrating]
ratingcountDisplay count of ratings[ratingcount]

You can try Learning Tools Pro and Star Ratings out on our test site: labs.bdecent.de

If you have any questions, let me know!
Feel free to reach out directly via chat.bdecent.de if you are interested in beta testing!

Best Stefan
In reply to John Andre

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For a thumbs up or thumbs down simple rating system, you might try the Hot Question plugin. Don't be mislead by "Question" as you can label it as anything you want.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by John Andre -
Thanks for the tip. I just checked out Hot Question. It seems more like a forum tool with some voting. So, I'd need to setup the Hot Question Item (forum) then have a list of posts in the forum where each post refers to a resource, URL, etc. and then students could vote (thumbs up/down) on each post in the forum.

I was really hoping to have something that would rest on or near each item (URL, resource, etc.) where students could vote on that item's usefulness.

I'm flexible on the implementation but if students need to go into something akin to a forum (where they no longer have the items in front of them), I think only the most passionate will do that (and I hope for a broader group of respondents).

Or...perhaps there is another way of using it?
In reply to John Andre

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The main point of Hot Question was it's ability to be used in real-time for users to ask questions without bringing a lecture to a halt. The thumb up/down allowed for other users to "up-vote or apply heat" without having to repeat a question.

In the past when I was still teaching, I often used it for simple polling. In the case for how you are wanting feedback about URL's, I used to place the info I wanted responses for, in the HQ description, so the info was there and visible while the students made comments and voted. To make it easier for them, I made the description visible in the topic, so they were able to see what it was about before actually having to open the activity.
In reply to John Andre

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by John Andre -
Thanks for this recommendation. It looks interesting. It's simple and shows on the main course page.
In reply to John Andre

by AL Rachels -
I think for the way you want to do this, you could use the Hot Question plugin. There is also a Poll block that can be used even though it has not been updated recently, it still works fine for Moodle 3.10 and lower. It also works in Moodle 3.11 and higher but does have one deprecated warning regarding user_picture::fields() is deprecated.