Question state "Seen"

Question state "Seen"

by Johnnathan Nogueira -
Number of replies: 6

HI everyone,

I am quite new to moodle and I wanted to know if there is anyway that I can check the following:

- Student open a quiz with 30 questions.

- Answer the 3 firsts questions

- skips 2 questions

- Answer another 2

- Open the next question, sees it and finishes the quiz before seeing all the other questions.

My questions are:

Can I check which questions of the quiz he actually opened?

Is there any state for "never tried"/"seen" instead of just "not answered"

I would like to know if the student actually tried to answer all questions or just opened, saw a few questions and gave up the rest without seeing.

From what I could, while I'm doing the quiz i could check the timemodified on question_attempt, but after finishing the quiz or the time runs out, the grading system kicks in and changes the timemodified of all attempts to the same time. Making it harder to write a test to check if the questions was actually seen or not.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Johnnathan Nogueira

Re: Question state "Seen"

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Jonnathan,

So from what I know, this kind of feature is not there and from a website perspective you need to think and find out how a site will know if the user actually saw the questions or not. It might to some extent be able to detect if a user clicked on it, but again this leaves other complications. Other than that a site will not know if a user saw the question or tried to work it out, unless you get webcams and detect eye contact etc, but that is absurde to do for an online test.

Like I say to many of our clients, you cannot make a person do anything, you can only help them and try to give them the best guidance and knowledge. Even if you force an activity to be completed, you are simply going to annoy that user. Our best method so far for tests in Moodle is to just give good information, use time limits, activity completion and then restriction when required.

I hope this information helps in some way, shape or form. smile

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
As far as I know, it is difficult to track eye movements to specific questions on a web page, and to know if there was cognitive registration between where a person's eyes moved to and whether or not that person's brain registered that the person actually saw the question.

I wonder if it might be better to focus on the student's quiz results? Are you trying to give some kind of partial credit to students who claimed they looked at a question? Or something like that?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Johnnathan Nogueira -

Hi and thanks for answering.

I dont know if I was clear since my English is not the best lol.

I'm trying to check the database during a quiz, to check the progress a student made.

Which questions he actually interacted with and which ones the student didn't even opened.

I was trying something with events but there is no event for question_attepmts. Can I create custom events?

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Again, this will be very difficult.

You can only get information on something if it is being tracked. Currently Moodle will not track this at all, but perhaps an alternative is to use your quizzes with 1 question per page and then use the logs to track the progress, but still it will not tell you if the person wanted to attempt that question. This borders on trying to read the user's mind.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Giovanni is providing very good information.

I would continue to recommend to you to focus on the "completed" quiz instead of the "quiz in progress" quiz. There are other interesting issues, based upon what you are trying to do. For example, let's say a student answers a question, and then "flags" it (which Moodle allows), so that the student intends to go back to it. You might want to interpret this as "the student finished this question." But the reality is that the student might not have finished. This can happen even without the flag feature. Or, if for example, the quiz contains all multiple-choice questions, a student might first pick choice "A" for every question, just so that they don't get caught with an unanswered question, then return to trying to properly answer questions.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Very valid point Rick.

My suggestion is also to stay with Moodle's current way of working and that is to look at the quiz results. This is why al systems work this way, it is a standard. Even in written exams they check your results, they don't ask you for information during your exam.