Course Archiver Not Working

Course Archiver Not Working

by Lynn MacDonald -
Number of replies: 7

Question 1:
If I click on Course Archiver, it takes me to the Dashboard instead of starting the process of archiving courses. Video:

Moodle Version 3.10.3+ Build 20210427
php 7.2.34
Theme: Adaptable release 3.10.1.2, version 202122302 with the following custom CSS:
.headerbgimage {
background-size: contain;
background-position: 0px 5px
}

h1 {
font-size: 16px;
}

Suggestions as to what to try?

Question 2:
In the instructions, it states:
A folder created within the moodledata folder. The tool will create this folder, however it is recommended that the folder be created outside the moodledata folder, and a shortcut be placed in the moodledata folder.

When it says "shortcut", does it mean a file path? If so, should it be absolute or relative? If not, what is the syntax?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lynn MacDonald

Re: Course Archiver Not Working

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Response 1: Hmmm... very odd! We use the Boost theme, so I get there in slightly different way. What happens if you change your theme to Boost and go Site Administration / Courses / Course Archiver? What happens if you go directly to yoursite/admin/tool/coursearchiver/index.php?
In reply to Blair F.

by Lynn MacDonald -
Attempting both gives the same thing. It goes to https://mysite/my/ in both cases.

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
So strange. I hate it when people give me this recommendation (sorry!) but I'd honestly try uninstalling and reinstalling. But first... where does THIS take you: yoursite/admin/settings.php?section=tool_coursearchiver ? Same place, I'm guessing?
In reply to Blair F.

by Lynn MacDonald -
Roy - Have you tried turning it off and on again - IT CrowdOh, I know the drill. I just didn't think of it.

I should have, but I am always nervous of breaking the site, even though it is not yet in production, so doing that wouldn't be the first thing to jump to mind. I am just in the middle of methodically editing course formatting, so I will try this in the morning once the robotic work is done.

I tried the URL you suggested and it went to the Course Archiver settings page.

For now, I created a hidden course category "Obsolete" and moved the old courses there. We do not have a lot of courses, so that could end up being the long-term solution.
Thanks again,
Lynn

by Matthew Davidson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Let me answer the second part first. Our IT department routinely backs up the moodledata folder, so having the archives there means we are constantly backing up backup files (and lots of them). So I recommend having the folder in the moodledata folder actually being a reference to a folder that resided outside of the moodledata folder (or as Windows OS calls them, shortcuts). So that when courses are backed up, they are sent to the folder outside the moodledata folder, but the code still thinks it is talking to the folder INSIDE the moodledata folder. If that makes sense.

As for the first issue, I'll look into it. We have used the Boost theme and so the menu links haven't been checked in a bit.

by Matthew Davidson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm kind of at a loss at the moment. I installed Adaptable and the link still worked. My two guesses are that something went wrong on the install and to uninstall, re-download the plugin, reinstall. My other guess is that something in the permissions is wonky and so it keeps kicking you from the tool to your front page preference.
In reply to Matthew Davidson

by Lynn MacDonald -
Thanks so much. I am working on the Moodle now, so I will try reinstalling the plugin at some point today and let you know how it goes. I will be sure to check the file permissions as well, before doing so.