How to disable the ability to create new preconfigured LTI tools

How to disable the ability to create new preconfigured LTI tools

by Susana L. -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I would like that teachers from our Moodle site would be able to choose from the activity chooser a preconfigured LTI tool (Zoom LTI for instance) but I don't want them to create new preconfigured tools (with their own urls). The problem is that if I disable the capability mod/lti:addpreconfiguredinstance the preconfigured Zoom tool is not shown to teachers on activity chooser but if I enable that capability the teachers are able to add a new tool using the plus sign when editing the LTI zoom module instance in their course (image attached).

add-preconfigured-tool

I want them to use the Zoom preconfigured LTI tool exactly as a module and I don't want them to add new preconfigured tools. Does anyone know if it is possible to achieve that on Moodle 3.9?...

Thank you!

(PS: We have mod/lti:addmanualinstance  disabled for teachers)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susana L.

Re: How to disable the ability to create new preconfigured LTI tools

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Susana,

If you prohibit the capability 'mod/lti:addcoursetool', this should achieve what you're looking for. The "+" symbol is still present but users won't be able to add course tools.

Hope that helps
Jake
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Susana L. -

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your input!

I changed the capability 'mod/lti:addcoursetool' on teacher's role, but the teacher is still able to see the "+" symbol and actually create a new tool that shows up on the list of tools (Site administration> PluginsActivity> modules> External tool> Manage tools).

(Am i missing something... or doing something wrong...?)

Thank you,
susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Susana,

The + symbol will still be present, but they will see a notice if they try to use it. I've just double checked the code (and the behaviour) and it's definitely the 'mod/lti:addcoursetool' capability that's checked on the instructor_edit_tool_type.php page. Perhaps the user has multiple roles in that context or the capability isn't being set to prohibit.

Jake
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Susana L. -
Hi Jake,

You are absolutely right. My fault. I was changing the capability to Prevent instead of Prohibit...
That's it, just like you said, the '+' sign shows up but the page is not accessible by teachers.

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry for my clumsiness! smile

Best,
susana