The Comments tool

The Comments tool

by James Thomas -
Number of replies: 4

Hello.

I need more information. I would be grateful, and I think others might also be, if this page could be updated by someone who knows. 

https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Comments

• What is the purpose of the comments tool? What was it made for?
  • Who can see whose comments?
  • Do the comments form a sort of discussion thread?
  • Are they course or category specific?
  • Do the comments need to be moderated?

And anything else that needs to be known, that will be useful when I'm deciding whether to include this tool on my site and if so, when writing my guide for my course participants. 

Thanks in advance,

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Thomas

Re: The Comments tool

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi James - I have used the Comments feature for Glossary and Database activities, and it did serve the purpose of allowing other course participants to post brief comments on someone's entry. I've attached a screenshot of the List view from a Database activity.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by James Thomas -
Thank you Ravi.

Your comments in the Glossary are the Glossary module's comments, aren't they? They are not the Comments that can be accessed via Blocks.
I was actually wondering about the Block's comments, which can be added to the dashboard.

Cheers

James
In reply to James Thomas

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi James - Thanks for clarifying. I'm aware of the Comments block but I've not used it. I think it might work in certain cases, for example:

- A group of teachers collaborating to develop a resource: they can post comments to others on this block

- Asking a small group of students to share brief feedback or reflections on a resource

In both cases I imagine the Comments block to be situated within a particular resource.
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by James Thomas -
Thanks for your comments. I'm going to turn Comments off completely in Admin, at least until more complete information is available here.

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove link as advertising is not allowed. Original submission Monday, 28 June 2021, 8:53 AM)