Problem with automated backups after location change

Problem with automated backups after location change

by Luis Guerra -
Number of replies: 3
Moodle version: 3.9
Server OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Database: Mysql on a different server.
I changed the location of the automated backups from the default location to a different location on the server (/opt/backups/) and after the change, the backups files started appearing on the new location.
After a few days I noticed that when I went to a course restore area, the last backup file shown, was the last backup that was on the default path (located in /opt/moodledate/filedir).
I then checked the database mdl_files table and there are only entries for the backups that where made to the default location.
Yet, the backups continue to be made to the new location and they are working, just not showing on the course restore option for the users or on the database...
Any one had a similar behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Luis Guerra
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis Guerra

Re: Problem with automated backups after location change

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think that's expected.

If you offload automated backups to a different location then you no longer have access to them from within Moodle.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Luis Guerra -

If that is so, what is the logic behind that? It's just a different disk on the same server.

Besides, nothing in the options mentions that. In fact, the documentation on Moodle's website even encourages you to put the backups on a different disk or server, so you wont lose both data and backup if the disk fails.

So why would it not be possible for the users to recover an automated backup? That does not make any sense...

In reply to Luis Guerra

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's a different disk on the same server for you, maybe. But it could just as easily be network storage or whatever is convenient. The logic is that these backups can take up a huge amount of space. Behind the scenes, the backup file is not going into Moodle's filestore which is hashed and only available through Moodle's UI. These external backups are just ordinary files. This is a big advantage if something nasty happens. 

It's possible to recover the backup but now needs a manual step to recover the file and re-upload it.

Consider that automated backups will mostly be used to recover a course in some sort of failure scenario. Not something that happens every day. Normal backups still are immediately accessible as before.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)