bulk export of info contained in different schedulers

bulk export of info contained in different schedulers

by Vaya Willemen -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

Use case description - I have a course with a lot of schedulers where students needed to register for webinars provided by external partners. Due to covid restrictions, there was no possibility to go to companies with students to get a feel for what te studies are preparing them.

Some external partners did webinars via Zoom, others via Teams, others via Webex. All platforms where we do not have access to participant logs, or where anyone with the link could enter.

Attendance in at least 5 of these company-organised webinars was mandatory. We used schedulers on Moodle. Students registered for the webinars of choice, and the registered students received a reminder mail the day of the event with the correct link. So only registered students could participate. We as teachers were also present, and marked the students in the appropriate scheduler as "showed up / attended".

Now it is time to give out points, and one of the parameters we need to take into account is how many webinars were attended by each student.

So I am looking for a way to export the inf from all schedulers at once into one spreadsheet where I can code filtering + marking based upon attendance. But I cannot seem to find how to do this.

In the logs, I can only choose one scheduler and it does not how me the attendance. I can open each scheduler separately and do an export, but that would take ages and then I need to consolidate different spreadsheets by hand into one file.

Who can enlighten me on bulk exporting the data contained within different schedulers in one go?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vaya Willemen

Re: bulk export of info contained in different schedulers

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Not sure I fully undestand the case, but how about using Gradebook for that? If you activate grading in the Schedulers, they should all show in the Gradebook, and you should be able to export from the Gradebook all those graded activities you want. Of course, assuming that you have them all in a single Moodle course.
Probably not what you want, though, if attendance was not graded in the first place...
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Vaya Willemen -

I will try to clarify (in writing it takes longer than explaining by word, so my apologies for the long answer)

The external partners giving the webinars for which the students registered in the schedulers do not have access to our Moodle, and we do not ask them to grade attendance. It is not the attendance that needs to be graded. It is what students do with the info they receive during these webinars that is graded at the end of the year, based on what the students documented and reported on in their portfolios. A portfolio is a document reporting on all the company-led activities students participated in. And it also contains own research students did after being triggered by new info they glean from these webinars.

We as teachers contact companies and see to it that at least once a week, during the entire year there are activities on the workfloor at companies. Due to Covid, this was all replaced with webinars. The Moodle course contains nothing more than schedulers for all of these events. There is a mandatory minimum of webinars the students must attend, but this varies on the type of student (regular day-time students, evening students with a full time job, students with learning difficulties and a less intensive curriculum spread over more years, ...)

We as teachers (one course, 5 teachers, 5 different class groups, mix of regular day-time students and working students taking the evening classes) are usually but not always present in ALL the webinars (sometimes we are teaching another group at the same moment when a company decides to organise a webinar that might be of interest to our students or sometimes at the same time there are two companies having hosting different webinars).

Day time regular students need to participate in at least 10 webinars over the course of the entire year, working students need to participate in at least 5 webinars.

Which webinars are attended, is entirely up to the students. At the end of the academic year (right about now) we as teachers need to check and confirm that these requirements are met, and we need to know which student registered for which event so that we can check if the portfolio they submitted with their reports on each of these webinars is complete and true.

Only students that registered in the schedulers received the webinar info.

We need the info on which student registered for which webinar in order to grade their portfolios. I would prefer to have the info of ALL schedulers in the course in 1 Excell sheet so that I can open the portfolio of student X, also filter the spreadsheet so that all webinars for which student X registered on Moodle are filtered out and thus check if his/her portfolio is consistent and check if student X met the minimum attendance requirements (different on whether student X is a regular daytime student, a working evening student, or has some hybrid curstom-made curriculum with exceptions to the rules).

This would also make it possible to cross-check the report on webinar Y that student X put in their portfolio with the reports of other students that attended webinar Y.

Maybe we should have organised it differently in retrospect, but we needed to make changes fast due to ever-changing Covid restrictions. I cannot change the way it was organised now, nor can I integrate with the gradebook after the facts. I counted on the ability of Moodle export functionality. But alas I have come to the conclusion I need to do an export in each of the schedulers separately and then recombine all these different Excell into one master by hand. Unless I am missing something ....

Yesterday evening, I developed a curl script containing all the id's and session keys to automatically extract all the spreadsheets of each scheduler separately. I guess today I will be busy combining all these spreadheets together into one master file ....

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Tough indeed, I imagine for each webinar you had multiple dates and times available., so your choice of the tool seemed natural.

The Overview tab allows you to pick all the Schedulers in a course, but just for oneself. In any case, the Export function does not listen to the Overview filter , but defaults to "This scheduler".

Maybe you could get some success with a proper database query, but it would probably take time to construct ideally. Maybe this tool could help if you wanted to go this way: https://moodle.org/plugins/report_customsql .

Sorry, unable to help further. Good luck !
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Vaya Willemen -
At the moment, the only workaround I have been able to setup very quickly is a script using the appropriate curl command syntax to extract the spreadsheets from each scheduler separately. That saves me a ton of clicking around. I obtained the scheduler id-s from the links in the overview of the course. I could just read them from my screen by hovering over the link, and insert them in my script. I had to do 1 manual export and track this using the browser developer tools to obtain the correct session-ID that also needed to go into the curl commands.

The plugin you brought to my attention seems extremely usefull. I am quite familiar with SQL statements (especially when I know the table and column names, otherwise al lot of reverse engineering has to be done first). But I am not a Moodle admin. I am a teacher, with only those permissions. I read the documentation, and it seems that I would not only have to convince our admins to install that plugin, but also create new roles with sufficient permissions for teachers to us it within their courses. I don't think I will be able to convince them .... But I'll give it a try anyway smile

Thank you for your time and input!

by FRANCISCO FONSECA -

Tengo el mismo problema ¿sería posible conocer el script?