Set time for each question in Quiz

Set time for each question in Quiz

by Phong Nghiem Tan -
Number of replies: 4

Is it possible to set up timing (for example 1 minute) for each question in Quiz?

If yes, how can we set up that setting?

Thanks everyone.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phong Nghiem Tan

Re: Set time for each question in Quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This question crops up regularly on the Quiz forum. There is no solution and I've never understood the need for such a request.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phong Nghiem Tan

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Phong Nghiem,

When my students take a long exam, such as a three-hour exam, some tend to take too long on some questions and overlook others. They then complain that they haven't had time to try these other questions. It's a bit of a shame for them because very often they could have fetched points easily even if they had not solved these problem questions completely.

It all depends on the type of exam. As far as I'm concerned, I would like students to have at least an overview of all subjects. In my opinion, a student who succeeds even moderately in spending say half an hour on each of six questions in a three-hour exam shows that s/he has learned more than a student who spends say one hour on each of the first three questions and then complains because s/he didn't have time to do the last three. I'm not saying putting a time limit on each question is a solution for me, but maybe a solution I could try.

I'm not the only person who uses Moodle. It is used from kindergarten to university and also in industry. It is used in all fields of activity, geography, medicine, mechanical engineering, etc. It can be used for reading comprehension tests, psychology tests, flach cards, learning games and all kinds of practice tests that I am not even aware of. Even though I might not be using this timed question feature, it would be very presumptuous of me to tell someone that they shouldn't be using it.

Let's just say that resources are limited, and no one has had the time to develop a full-fledged plugin or filter that would limit the time allotted to each question in a quiz.

I'm not a programmer and I'm not quite comfortable writing such a plugin or filter yet. So all I can offer you are workarounds, which still aren't that bad, for example: Birds ↗, Cars ↗, Lorem ipsum ↗.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Phong Nghiem Tan -
Thanks for your answer and contribution. Since my university just changed the system to use Moodle and we do also have the new Board of management, they require that to control the quality of the exam, we have to set time for each question. Thanks by the way for your help.