Problem with "Variable" page during installation >> Error Message

Problem with "Variable" page during installation >> Error Message

by W Page -
Number of replies: 4

Hello!

I have just installed easyPHP off the root "C\:".  I also installed Moodle in the "www" file. 

I went to http://localhost/moodle/admin and began the installation process for the database easily.  However after the workshop database tables were installed I attempted to continue on to a page titled "Variables" and received the following message in a white box, 

On this page you can specify a number of configuration variables that help make Moodle work properly on your server. Don't worry too much about it - the defaults will usually work fine and you can always come back to this page later and change these settings.

This was followed by by the following error statement,

lang:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in c:\easyphp1-7\www\moodle\lang\ru\moodle.php on line 8

This happens repeatedly. 

Should I download a fresh Moodle and begin again?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: Problem with "Variable" page during installation >> Error Message

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You may have some broken files ... try just deleting the whole lang\ru directory.
In reply to W Page

by Patrik Nilsson -
Or just go into php.ini and set the execution time to 60 sek.. that might help and you might want to set MB chache php uses.. its set to 8 i think and it is advised you set that a little higher.. I set mine at 30 MB.
In reply to Patrik Nilsson

by W Page -

I appreciate everyones response. 

This is what I did in the following sequence.

1. Increased the execution time to 60 seconds and increased the chache to 30MB in the php.ini file..
  2. I still received timeout errors in the language files of 30 seconds (the particular language would change each time).  However, I was able to go a bit further in the install steps.
  3. Increased the execution time to 90 seconds.
  4. I still received timeout errors in the language file of 30 seconds.  Again however, I was able to go a bit further in the install steps.
  5. Removed half of the language files.  I was able to complete the install with no timeout errors.

I have a couple of questions,

• Why am I still getting timeout errors of 30 seconds after I have increased the execution time to 60 seconds, even 90 seconds?  Is there somewhere in the script I should also increase the execution time along with the increase in the php.ini file.
  • Is there a way to correct this timeout problem with the language files?
  • I did not have this problem with the language files when I initially installed Moodle directly on the server.Can I work on the website in easyPHP with the missing language files and just replace them by uploading them into the language folder on the internet server without doing anything else?  Will they still work?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Like I said, I'm pretty sure you had corrupt files.  Deleting or replacing them should have fixed it.  Usually a pass through the files takes under a second so you shouldn't have to increase any timeouts.