Help with Setting up Webinar Style Training With Moodle

Help with Setting up Webinar Style Training With Moodle

by John Campen -
Number of replies: 2

After spending a day and a half of trawling the internet for an Opensource Webinar platform, I have found Moodle may be the best solution I can find for our purposes.  However with further exploring, I cannot find a cohesive clear end to end instruction how to go about setting up Moodle as a Webinar platform.  

On some documentation I found we need to use Adobe Connect for conducting live webinars?  However an Adobe connect subscript starts at USD50 per month which seem to defeat the purpose of using Opensource systems when say a commercial available system such as WebinarJam costs less than the Adobe Connect subscription.   

I had also looked at BBB and went to register to trail this system, however there is now a warning massage on thier subscription page as follows.

"Due to increased demand, recordings are temporarily disabled and the maximum duration of a meeting has been reduced to 60 minutes on this server. (k8s)" 

We are conducting training seminars/webinars around the transport and handing of dangerous goods as per UN regulations, and these programs normally run for around 2-3hrs.   So having a 60min time limitation is just not workable. 

So my questions are, where can I find some instructions for setting this up?

What other options are there besides using BBB and Adobe Connect?

How is Jitis used to broadcast Webinars?  

Has anyone used Jami tougher with Moodle? If so how?

Thank you in advance for any guidance. 

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Campen

Re: Help with Setting up Webinar Style Training With Moodle

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi John - I looked up that info message about BBB you shared and it looks like it's from the BBB demo page, which is just for demonstration and not meant to be used for any real work. To use BBB for your work, you should run it yourself on your own server or use one of the on-demand BBB hosting providers. You should be able to find out more on the BBB website.

Moodle is not a webinar platform - it is a learning management system (LMS) on which you can develop courses with a variety of resources and activities. In my opinion, the Moodle LMS has a strong bent towards asynchronous teaching and learning. There is nothing in Moodle out-of-the-box that offers webinar functionalities. But if you have a BBB instance somewhere, you can use the BBB plugin for Moodle and create a BBB activity in your course. There are similar plugins for Zoom and Jitsi. Check out the Moodle plugins database to learn more: https://moodle.org/plugins/

Also, there's a BBB conference coming up and it's free to attend: https://bigbluebutton.org/event-page/
Average of ratings: Useful (2)