Sinhala [si]: How does a new translation propegate?

Sinhala [si]: How does a new translation propegate?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Is it possible that the Sinhala [si] is missing so many strings?

As a test I added a single translation (see attachment). Now how does it propegate to the language pack? I noticed that there is no 'Save' button. After closing the browser, I got no notice of my pending request.

Attachment amos-si.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Sinhala [si]: How does a new translation propegate?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

To send your contributed translation to the language pack maintainer, you need to

1. Click the link 'Go to stage'
  2. Review your translation and click the button 'Send strings to language pack maintainers'
  3. (Optional) add a message explaining what you have done

When your contribution is accepted by the language pack maintainer, it is automatically propagated to the different versions of Moodle.

For more information, please see the dev doc Contributing a translation.

(Post edited to amend the steps, as mentioned by Visvanath.)

In reply to Helen Foster

Hi Helen

Thanks, found the path. It took sometime though since the message to the maintainer comes only _after_ I click the "Send string to the language pack maintainers" button.

Attachment amos-si-2.png

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm sorry for listing the steps incorrectly. I have edited my previous post to correct things.

Thanks for contributing to translating Moodle.

In reply to Helen Foster

Hi Helen

Vaguely remembered: Is the සිංහල (si) language pack being actively maintained? - six years to the day! Could it still be the case?

BTW, in "3. (Optional) add a message" only the message is optional, not the subject:

Attachment amos-3.png

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
No, it is not actively maintained anymore. But the translation work is voluntary: people take the responsibility, work hard on it and sometimes move on. Or take a long break smile. Sometimes I they tell me that they abandon the project, but mostly not. But anyway we are grateful for the time they spent on translating Moodle.
Thank you for mentioning this.
In reply to koen roggemans

Hi Koen

Sinhala is my mother tongue. I can maintain the Sinhala translation until a better person appears. Six plus years was a long time to wait.

Pl. message me or contact me via e-mail.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)