Camera Selection in Moodle

Camera Selection in Moodle

by Greg Fishback -
Number of replies: 7

Chrome default camera is set to OBS Studio (Or more accurately, the OBS virtual camera).  I've used it for years with a plethora of online platforms with little or no issues.  Somehow, Moodle doesn't use Chrome's select camera but goes straight to the default camera which is of course locked by OBS!  How does one tell Moodle to use a particular camera?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Fishback

Re: Camera Selection in Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm probably missing something but Moodle doesn't use your camera at all. What exactly are you doing?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I think Greg is talking about the camera chosen when using RecordRTC from the Toolbar.
There is currently no way to select the camera chosen.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Greg Fishback -
You would be correct on the RecordRTC and thank you for the response. Hopefully, as the product evolves, this may change.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can you change your system default camera to the OBS camera?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Greg Fishback -
I don't think so. As OBS isn't an actual camera, but a virtual camera, there is a dependency on the actual camera and according to what I can read online, the only way to change the default camera is to disable it in device manager. That, and it doesn't appear in Devices & Printers. Kind of a bummer, I use OBS for a ton of presentation "fluff" and it is an integral part of how I present my curriculum. I guess I'll keep uploading manually.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's a shame; I use OBS and ManyCam for similar things at my school, but I had never tried recording straight into Moodle with it.

The ideal would be to be able to select your camera in Moodle! wink
In reply to Jon Witts

by Greg Fishback -
I completely agree. I use OBS for a plethora or instructional training videos and being able to use it as a quick insert esp. with the screen capture and chroma key features would be so slick. Oh, well. I'll keep hoping and watching.