Which aproach is better for stablishing a Moodle server, FOSS or Non FOSS?

Re: Which aproach is better for stablishing a Moodle server, FOSS or Non FOSS?

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Carlos asked:
Do you think that it will be beneficial for us to migrate to private payed platforms, for virtualization and the operating system?
NO! (If you're talking about outsourcing your Moodle, or anything else for that matter.) Once you got your hand in your pocket, with these services, it only comes out to give them money. Your organization is entirely dependent on THEIR service levels and that is always a risk. You need an IT staff anyway, in any sized institution and paying one additional person's wages to work on your system has a lot of cost effective benefits, plus bringing additional expertise and flexibility to your workplace, improving internal service levels, reducing tech down times, covering for illness, an important consideration today plus other benefits I'm sure. The other, and more important, issue is that of data control, security and confidentiality. If your databases are on someone else's server, who is looking at them? Why is someone else looking at YOUR data? You surrender control in good faith, but that faith is not always honored.
Will it bring us any benefit? 
How do you define benefit? Of course it will bring some benefits, but there is also the risks. Does the risk outweigh the benefit? Given that YOUR data can be used as an asset of the service provider, I would suggest no gain is made, so the cost:benefit:risk ratios are not evenly balanced. 
Or do you consider that this configuration that we currently have is the best?   
If you have an accumulation of expertise to support a FOSS solution, go for it. Keep it going. Fight to keep it. 

I would suggest though that this question may have been better placed in the Advocacy forum.