Collapsed Topics Plug-in, Problem with Moodle 3.11

Re: Collapsed Topics Plug-in, Problem with Moodle 3.11

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I have created a Moodle Tracker Improvement request for this feature. Consider voting for it.

1. MDL-71856 Support pre-311 method of showing activity completion checkboxes within topics.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Rick et al,

To answer some questions and my thoughts:

• I tend to only keep a real eye on the Course and course formats and Themes forums, especially as I'm a mod there, so if you need to catch my attention, they are the best places.
  • Everything in life happens for a reason, so the 'Mark is done' must have been so.  Thus I'm reluctant to change it to a box, and indeed that is more complex than you think because it is activity completion with more than two states with underlying AJAX.
  • Activity completion is just that, 'activity'.  A course format is only responsible for the layout of the sections in a course, not really the actual activities and resources.  They are handled by the core course renderer, which is best overridden in the theme.  Ok, course formats can override that renderer, and indeed CT does for a few methods, but it can get messy, especially if the theme does as well and overrides the same method.  Also, multiple inheritance (I don't think) exists in PHP, and even then, very messy, even in a supported language such as C++, thus you then have to get the Theme to know that the Course format extends the core course renderer and then do a 'special case' so that its course renderer then extends the course format's version which then extends the core one, and hope there is no breakage!
  • Accessibility wise, are there any experts out there that can come up with a better design?

G
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, Gareth, I can appreciate that this gets a little complex.

Yesterday I did more experimenting, and I am seeing the complexity a bit better, and the complexity that it brings to Collapsed Topics. I plan to continue experimenting, and I think I can see my way to a better overall user-interface solution that might satisfy all. This experimenting might take me a few days.

Thanks for your thoughts.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -
Gareth (and others,) I added a few more thoughts to my Tracker feature request, MDL-71856 , having explored the various Activity Completion feature in Moodle 3.11.  Gareth, from what I can tell, Collapsed Topics does not provide the ability to show the Activity Complete "text" in Moodle 3.11.  This might be all that you need to add.

I would like to see the Activity Completion checkboxes reinstated.  You will see in my additional comments in MDL-71856, I show how Collapsed Topics currently has the ability to show both checkboxes and text, so it seems doable for Moodle 3.11 to do this.