CLI backups - temp/trashdir disk space requirements

CLI backups - temp/trashdir disk space requirements

by Greg Robson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi, my organisation is currently doing CLI backups and I've noticed disk space vanishing quick, not from the backups themselves (I have a bash script to move them over to AWS S3 after completion).

I've checked the forums, and Moodle source code and haven't been able to discern a concrete answer.

When a CLI backup takes place, do any files that were used to build the backup (course assets) get left behind in the temp or trashdirs or are they cleaned up immediately? I've noticed disk space vanishing by more than the size of the mbz backups after backups have taken place. If files are left behind in the trashdir from compiling the mbz, do they get deleted after the standard 4 days?

We're using 3.6, but will soon be starting to migrate up through to 3.10 (potentially 3.11).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Robson

Re: CLI backups - temp/trashdir disk space requirements

by Greg Robson -
After some experimentation - it does appear that the temp file from building the MBZ is left in the trashdir. I've made the cron for cleaning temp files more frequent. (Default is every 6 hours: with the size of our backups cleaning up anything older than an hour every 6 hours isn't enough as 5 hours of backups can be 200GB.