Guest access issue

Guest access issue

by Joanna Beaver -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I have created a guest access course (for FAQs) which is accessed by a link in the footer of the login page. I have added the following site settings:

In Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins, Guest access is enabled.
In Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication Guest login button is set to Show.
In Site administration > Users > Permissions > User policies, the checkbox next to “Auto-login guests” is ticked.
In Course > Enrolment method, Guest access is enabled.
In Site administration > Security > Site security settings, Force users to login is ticked.

This all works very well. The problem is that if I log in as e.g. admin, and log out, I am taken to the Home page and it says 'You are currently using guest access'. I really cannot figure out why! It should not be taking me to that page at all since I have the Force login ticked.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, how to fix? It even happens when using an incognito window in different browser.

I am using Moodle 3.9.

Best wishes

Jo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Beaver

Re: Guest access issue

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The “auto login guests” setting is conflicting with the “force login” setting. You can’t have both at the same time. Moodle is doing what you’ve told it to do - automatically logging in guests.

Is the FAQ aimed at people already logged into the site or the general public? If the latter, you can’t have “force login”. If the former, you don’t need “auto-login guests”.

The other settings are fine.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Guest access issue

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for your reply Jon. I must admit it did seem a little contradictory when I added it. The FAQs relevant to the guest would be a relatively short section with 'trouble logging in' type help. I think I will look at adding an expandable section into the instruction field instead.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Jo