How to delete files permenantly from server

How to delete files permenantly from server

by javed khan -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I have deleted some videos from courses, but still server space is not getting empty. I need to clean up my disk space. How to delete files from server as well.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to javed khan

Re: How to delete files permenantly from server

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Javed,

So Moodle has one place for storing files and that is in the backend in the "moodledata" folder, you can take a stab at that folder and delete what you don't need.

You can also try the file picker and find file that have been uploaded and delete them, but in general it is not the easiest thing to do a cleanup on Moodle, we tend to rather as clients to use repositories and thus enabling full control over the files.
In reply to Giovanni Vosloo

by javed khan -
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Currently, we are not using any repository, everything is getting saved on moodledata.
How can I find the respective folder to delete in moodledate/filedir.
In reply to javed khan

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Don't delete anything in moodledata/filedir. See the README.txt file there.

Moodle is meant to wipe unused files on its own. It could take some time though, specially if recycle bin is active. How often do you run https://docs.moodle.org/en/Cron.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by javed khan -
Hi,

I have deleted some files from admin dashboard. But when I have checked the space, it still the same. I am not able to understand how to permanently clear the space, as I have to migrate the site to another server and moodledata size is huge.
In reply to javed khan

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Wait for sometime Javed, some hosting providers re-calculate space every 12 hours.
you dont have to carry all data at once, skip cache, localcache and temp folders, rest compress folders individually to carry on to new server.