Installation Package for Windows - stuck at database settings

Installation Package for Windows - stuck at database settings

by Blair F. -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm trying to install the Moodle 3.9.7 Windows package on my Windows 10 laptop. I've done this a million times before with previous versions of Moodle, but this one keeps getting stuck a the Database settings.  Thank you for your time.

This has been mentioned in some other posts, with no replies or responses that are not clear to me and they are closed so I cannot reply  to them for clarification.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair F.

Re: Installation Package for Windows - stuck at database settings

by Blair F. -
OK, it's weirder than I thought. I just tried to install 3.8.9 and experienced the same thing, even though in the past I've installed 3.9.4 on my laptop. So, I don't know what's different and what's going on.
In reply to Blair F.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Blair, see config file and check password field for database, if its blank, type 'password' in it and see if it works
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Blair F. -
Thank you, Usman. That wasn't it. The word 'password' was already there.
In reply to Blair F.

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you already got MySQL 8.0 running on the laptop? In which case the PHP 7.3 in the install package might not support the caching_sha2_password format that MySQL 8.0 is defaulting to? This reply and the post above it may help.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Blair F. -
Thanks, Leon. Apparently THAT was it, although I don't know why I had MySQL 8.0 running on my computer. When I ended the tasks (there were 2), I could then start the install process again and get through the whole thing.

I rebooted to see what would happen, and I discovered that that damn MySQL 8.0 was running again and had to stop it to get my new Moodle installation to start.

I've traced this back to my attempt to learn PHP in February, and an installation of MySQL Workbench 8.0 CE. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stop without losing my PHP learning environment. Maybe there's a Workbench 10. 

Anyway, thanks for getting me through this!!
In reply to Blair F.

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Presumably MySQL 8.0 is running as a service so you can use the Services console to start and stop this, or to change the startup type from Automatic to Manual so it's not started when Microsoft Windows starts (screenshot is for MariaDB, the setting is the same):

Screenshot of service properties for MariaDB with 'Startup type' drop-down list showing 'Automatic' and 'Manual' options.

Then you can switch back to MySQL 8.0 as needed.

The version 10 (10.4.8) refers to MariaDB's version which is the replacement for MySQL used by the Moodle install package. Version 8.0 is still the current version for MySQL, the latest being 8.0.25.