Sub question level feedback for Cloze questions

Sub question level feedback for Cloze questions

S G -
Number of replies: 5

TLDR : How to set a sub-question level feedback for Cloze type questions ?

As per the documentation, Cloze type question either have answer option level feedback or a General feedback across all sub-questions. Is there a way to set a sub-question level feedback instead of the option level feedback ?

Explanation :

For normal MCQs, a line starting with '####' provides a common feedback for the question.

In the Cloze subquestion, there is either an option to put a feedback after each answer option, beginning with '#" or there is an option to provide a 'general feedback' across multiple questions.

Is there some option to use the #### type feedback for Cloze sub-questions instead of the # after each choice ?

Sample sub-question of a Cloze type question :

This is Sub question 1.
{:MCV:
%-25%Wrong answer#Feedback ~
%-25%Another wrong answer#Feedback ~
=Correct answer#Feedback ~
%-25%Another wrong answer#Feedback
}

Sample Regular Multiple choice question :

<p>Question text of a normal MCQ</p>{
~%-25%<p>wrong answer 1</p>
~%-25%<p>wrong answer 2</p>
=<p>correct answer</p>
~%-25%<p>wrong answer 3</p>
####<p>This is the question level feedback</p>
}

Վարկանիշների միջին թիվը. -
In reply to S G

Re: Sub question level feedback for Cloze questions

S G -
Also, the "Clear my choice" link to clear the radio buttons appears for normal MCQs. But does not appear for sub-questions of a Cloze question.

Is there a way to get the same for the Cloze sub-questions ?
In reply to S G

Dominique Bauer -
Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը

Hello July,

I think these options are not available. They sound like good suggestions to me, but it's up to the plugin author to incorporate them.

If you want an immediate solution and are a little adventurous, both of your suggestions can probably be accomplished with a simple JavaScript code. Note that there would be a security issue with the first one, since the feedback would be available in the question's DOM before the students answered the question.

If you don't mind this problem too much (for example, if the feedback contains only non-sensitive information such as "Well done, good answer" or "Hmm, you should revisit this topic"), maybe I could help you with the code a bit later.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

S G -
@Dominique,

Sounds good! The JavaScript option will be just fine. Since the quizzes are anyways for test preparation, the feedback or the answer explanation in the DOM would not be a problem. There is no urgency. Whenever you find time, a JS snippet would be great.

Currently, I have used an inefficient work-around for the feedback. I have just used the same feedback lines across all the answer options - so it effectively works as a question level feedback. However, since the explanation can be a little lengthy at times, it increases the upload file size and the database size...

Thanks!
In reply to S G

Dominique Bauer -
Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը

Hello July,

I wrote some JavaScript code to get the "Clear my choice" link. I did it quickly, because like everyone else, I have a thousand other things to do. So the code could probably be simplified a bit, but it seems to work fine.

https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=89&section=11 ↗

I will do the sub-question feedback a little later.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

S G -
@Dominique Works perfectly ! Thank you !!

Couple of small changes I made :

[1] Included the <script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.6.0/jquery.min.js"></script> in the 'Additional HTML' field and omitted it from within the individual questions.

[2] Created a .js file in the root folder and added the JS there. So, only <script src="https://domain.com/clear_choice.js"></script> is included in the individual questions