Integration with SIS

Integration with SIS

by Larry Carlisle -
Number of replies: 13

My student information system (SIS) shows it is connected to my Moodle account, but Moodle does not recognize when I add a new student in the SIS (RosarioSIS).  No information at all seems to travel from the SIS to Moodle.  Any ideas why?  I'm using Moodle 3.9 and it is installed on the same web server (Siteground) as the SIS.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Carlisle

Re: Integration with SIS

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You would need to provide more information for anyone to answer your question. I had never heard of RosarioSIS before, but it looks very interesting.
https://github.com/francoisjacquet/rosariosis/
https://www.rosariosis.org/
In reply to Marcus Green

by Larry Carlisle -
Thank you, Marcus, for replying. I understand that the question was probably way too general. I just recently installed Moodle on a web server and it seems to be working correctly. The problem is that I'm trying to integrate it with the SIS that we are currently using, and on the SIS side it seems to be connecting correctly but on the Moodle side, no. RosarioSIS is a very good free SIS and has worked great for us over the past several years. Supposedly when adding a student in the SIS, he/she should appear in Moodle, but doesn't. I have followed all the steps in the guides I found to create a web service using the XML-RPC protocol, but it does not receive data from the SIS. To be honest I have no idea if the problem is with my manual installation of Moodle, with some setting on the hosting site, or with the integration steps to connect the LMS with the SIS.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Integrating systems like that can be tricky. Try turning moodle debug to developer and see if any smoke comes out of the wires. Then take a look at the javascript console just to be sure. Check if RosarioSIS has any trouble shooting document. If you don't get any luck with that or solutions in this forum it is the sort of thing you could pay one of the Moodle partners to look at, and I suspect half a day or less would get you working. Full disclosure: I work for Moodle partner Titus and it the sort of thing I like to get my hands dirty on.

by Matt T -

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no experience with RosarioSIS, but I do have a half-lifetime worth of experience of using Google search. : )

Further, although it is not mentioned in that guide, make sure cron is configured and working, or else syncing users will most likely fail.
In reply to Matt T

by Larry Carlisle -

Thank you, Matt.  Yes, that is the guide I followed but your comment about cron might be the issue.  I hadn't seen anything about that when I installed Moodle.  Later I found some comments about cron and tried to configure it.  Not sure if I did it correctly.  The following is the first part of the command (the part before the location of the php).

wget -q -O /dev/null 

To be honest I have no idea what this is doing.  I copied it from what someone else said elsewhere.  How do I determine if cron is working?  I apologize for my ignorance on this point.  haha

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Larry Carlisle -
Thank you. I've read that article a couple of times but am not sure what the exact command for cron should be. Is this it?
php http://domainpathtomoodle/admin/cli/cron.php
The moodle instalation is on a shared hosting site, if that makes a difference.

by Matt T -
Please see the link Visvanath has posted. It depends on your setup. Have you installed Moodle on your own server, or do you use something like 'cPanel' to manage your site?

I can, however, tell you that command you have posted will not work. It is simply attempting to make a web request to the null device file, which will do nothing. In the context of cron, /dev/null is used to redirect output of a command straight to the 'trash can', if you like, so that the output doesn't end up in system log files wasting disk space.

You can easily tell if cron is not working by checking the 'notifications' page in Site Administration. It will advise you if cron is not running, and if it is, if is not running frequently enough.
In reply to Matt T

by Larry Carlisle -
Thanks, Matt. It is managed through cPanel, and thanks for the explanation on the other points.

by Matt T -
It's a little hard for us to know the precise command. Try this.

/usr/local/bin/php /home/USERNAME/public_html/admin/cli/cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Replace username with your cPanel username. If Moodle is installed in a subdirectory beneath public_html, change the path as appropriate. You can use the file manager to find the right location.

Set it to run every minute.
In reply to Matt T

by Larry Carlisle -
Moodle is installed as a subdomain and is listed in File Manager as a separate directory from the primary one: moodle.domainname.org. When I use /usr/local/bin/php at the beginning of the command instead of wget at least I get a response. I receive an email saying, "Could not open input file". With wget nothing seems to happen at all. I really appreciate everyone who has contributed.

by Larry Carlisle -
It appears I got it resolved!!!!!! Thanks again, everyone, there were various ideas and little by little they led me to something that works. THANKS!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)