Old is gold! [OT] (was: Year not changed by Reset (Bug in Moodle 2.9?))

Old is gold! [OT] (was: Year not changed by Reset (Bug in Moodle 2.9?))

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Yes, "Old is gold!", I fully agree. Whether the virtual gold, aka. Moodle 1.6, behaves similar to the gold metal, is a different question. As others have already pointed out, you can always port your changes to later generations of Moodle. Or, you can bring the improvements you have done as proposals to the Moodle developers. In fact in the next generation of Moodle, release 4, the user interface will be completely re-designed. Listen to the recent developer meetings at https://moodle.org/mod/bigbluebuttonbn/view.php?id=8596. Others might want to add more pointers.

Until Moodle 4 happens, if your "Year not changed by Reset (Bug in  Moodle 2.9?)" is not yet solved, you might want to follow up the other sub-thread, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421381#p1698304.

Let's call the sub-thread we are in, starting somewhere https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421381#p1698823, "Old is gold! [OT]". Which could be a good one to revive the Lounge https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=6801.
wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Old is gold! [OT] (was: Year not changed by Reset (Bug in Moodle 2.9?))

by Timothy Takemoto -
Old is Gold. 1.x was so much more uncluttered. There were fewer clicks required. The useful was there and the unuseful was not.

I don't think my hacks could be ported. I think that the hacks and stuff that I had on 1.6 would be completely incompatible with more recent versions of Moodle. I would need to hack again pretty much from scratch, which I can't do anyway since I am no longer the Moodle admin.

I have rather despaired of finding a solution to "Year not changed by Reset (Bug in Moodle 2.9?)" i had hoped that someone would remember the bug and point me to a patch but the bug tracker does not go back that far.

I am fine with moving this thread to "Old is gold! [OT]" in the lounge.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Old is gold! [OT]

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

OK, in the spirit of "Old is gold!" AL already said here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421381#p1698985 all I have to say. I was a great fan of rel. 1.6, kept it alive a very long time. Then the same for 1.9. Both were de-facto LTS, supported for 3 and 6(!) years respectively. Even today I play with those versions, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421313#p1697896.

That is not the point. The point is, the size of the group grew from a handful to dozens of teachers. The new comers came asking for Moodle 2. And they became even more. Long history short, I argue that if Moodle did not make the transition to Web 2 in the 2.x generation and now in the 3.x generation haven't come up with boat loads of new features, there won't be a Moodle worth talking about today. I mean its user base and being the yardstick for all LMS.

Sentiments have their place. The evolution is governed by harder rules.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Timothy Takemoto -
Hi Visvanath

I was not aware I was being sentimental. Here are some thing that I preferred about 1.6/1.8

I could click on the course page to edit, hide, delete resources without having to click first on a drop down menu. When you are changing a lot of things every click counts.

I could edit tests from the test pages rather than returning to the course page and then clicking on that drop down menu. This is strange. Why is there no edit button on the test pages too?

The test edit screen would take me to the edit/add questions and random questions screen since I think their are very few situations where one would want to go anywhere else.

I could tailor which test options were visible (perhaps this is still possible, I am not longer an administrator).

There was no button allowing students to return to the test once one they had left it. This is a big headache since i use one time play videos to give my students English conversation teaching practice. Now they can go back to the test page and replay. I have to use the logs to see whether they did this or not.

There is a long scroll down to the test Save edit button. (I wish there buttons to save at top and bottom. )

I have to click on a button to display the full set of buttons on the text editor. Perhaps this is settable.

I have to choose "GIFT" each time I import rather than have this setting remembered by a drop down.

The import screen takes me to the questions screen rather than remaining on import (I generally want to import a few times)

The import destination requires opening a sort of tab thing when I think one would always want to decide upon where one is importing too.

The import defaults to a category that Moodle creates for me that I do not want.

The adding questions screen and adding random questions screen were all one one page, whereas now they are not.

The lack of the ability to change dates by a set amount (e.g. a year) on the reports>date page.
There are usually holidays so the ability to move all the dates below X forward by 7 days (I used to select the check marks and then use a Firefox plugin to "check them all" and then use the course date manager to change dates relative to their current setting by a settable amount).

What I like
The resource and activity drag and drop functionality so I can reorder things (but I had a plug in to do that).

The ability to have student marked assignments. This is very good.

Tim
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Eric Hagley -
Where have you been all these years Tim? Were you using Moodle but just not posting as often as you used to "back in the day"? I appreciated your work greatly back in 2004/5!