Chatterbox: Mobile Moodle micro-servers in rural Zimbabwe

Re: Chatterbox: Mobile Moodle micro-servers in rural Zimbabwe

by Randy Thornton -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers

That is very interesting. But after looking at it for a while, I would have to say that, to me, Kolibri is a non-starter because you can not import any local content at all. The only way to build a channel is online in the central Kolibri Studio server (based in the US).

Without doing that you have no channel id to choose from, you can only choose from all the other content already on the server that other folks have already built. So, all your content no matter how local or specific to a situation then has to be on their server first.

I hope I am missing something from reading the docs, but if that is how it work, then that's a terrible model. That would be like saying you can put any course you want in Moodle and play it offline anywhere, but you can only build courses at Moodle.com.

If you can't build your own channels locally and provide a channel id for them - using an open format that is well known - then they control everything. It needs to have a way to create channels completely off their server, so any local teacher or school or organization or country could have their own independent channels built on their own devices.

Attachment screenshot_11653.jpg
Attachment screenshot_11654.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)