Some Optional fields in user profile missing in upcoming Moodle 3.11

Some Optional fields in user profile missing in upcoming Moodle 3.11

by AL Rachels -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It appears to me that some of the, Optional fields, in the user profile settings have been removed in the code for the upcoming Moodle 3.11. I am specifically interested in the, Skype ID, field since I am currently maintaining that plugin. Dropping this field will also be of interest to the 1165 sites that currently have the Skype plugin installed.

This morning, I logged in to the Moodle 3.11 QA Testing site and see a, Skype ID, field in the, Other fields, section of user profiles, but a git pull of today's Moodle code does not include that.

Does anyone have any info about this change to user profiles?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Some Optional fields in user profile missing in upcoming Moodle 3.11

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As you know, Al, am not a developer nor QA tester, but just happened to see this today:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-its-90-days-until-the-end-of-skype-for-business-online-heres-what-to-expect/

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for the info Ken, hopefully this will not affect normal individual users. I have enrolled my wife in a personal Skype account for about ten years, so that she can call her family in Korea as long as she wants. With it she can call any computer or any phone line anywhere in the world and talk as long as she wants to for a set, very reasonable price for the whole year.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Wasn't saying Skype not useful ... my elderly mother (91 at the time - travel from Tx to Ohio out of the question)  got to 'attend' (via Skype) grand daughters wedding as well as reception after the service thanks to some wedding party willingness and understanding. ;)

'SoS', Ken

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Al - these are very old fields that people rarely use (although I appreciate Skype ID is still around) Don't worry -they have not been deleted but turned into new custom "social" fields which the admin can add again. Go to Site admin > Users >User profile fields and you can add them back from there, the ones you need. It is related to MDL-28452 My understanding is that if these fields are currently used on a site then they will automatically be converted to these custom profile fields, hence why you saw them on the QA site.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Thanks for the info Mary. With yesterdays git pull to both of my 3.11 dev sites, I saw Skype info listed in some of the enrollment methods, but did not see any actual fields created automatically. Guess I will need to create a 3.10 site, add the Skype plugin there and then see what I get after upgrading from 310 to 3.11.

Anyway, my main concern is that the Skype plugin is going to need some significant code changes to get user Skype ID's because the info is removed from the DB table, mdl_user, to three other tables, mdl_user_info_category, mdl_user_info_data, and mdl_user_info_field.

I think I am also going to have to test for the need and to come up with a way to create the new data when a Skype plugin in is being installed for the first time in 3.11. Don't think I will be getting an Early Bird on this one.