Create Master Activity - available to many courses

Create Master Activity - available to many courses

by Marie Waterhouse -
Number of replies: 9

Hello, I am using MOODLE 3.9

Is there a way to create a master activity and then make that master activity available / viewable in other courses?

For example I create a label which explains 'some in house admin process'.

I want the label to show in the following courses so I select it to be visible in the following

Art

Maths

Music

plus five more

Our in house processes change and I need to update the label. I change the master label and all the other visable instances of it are automatically updated.

Is there anything which does this?

Many thanks

Marie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marie Waterhouse

Re: Create Master Activity - available to many courses

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Marie,
I can suggest two possibilities:
  1. the course metalink. You create a course that contains this resource that you want to share through different courses. In this course, you add the enrolment method course metalink and select the corresponding courses. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the resource is embedded in those courses. You would need to add a link to that course or add some kind of information about it.
  2. to create an H5P resource and add it to all the courses. This would need some time in the beginning, but it looks nicer and every update that you make in the original H5P activity will revert to all the places where the H5P activity is added. Just remember to select the option "Create an alias/shortcut to the file" when you add the H5P activity to the courses.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Marie Waterhouse -
Thank you Beatriz,
I am making use of meatlink but as you point out it does not include course activity. I also looked at H5P and this is also a good option except for the one tiny problem - I do not think I can embed HTML into any of the H5P options. One of the key things we want to share from a 'master' is an html form. I will continue to investigate though. Many thanks for your thoughts.

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Marie,

I have had this question a few times with other clients, but just on a larger scale as they had product training that sometimes fall part of other training courses, so creating the content twice is an admin headache and updating it is even worse.

Our solution was to make use of the plugin called "Sub Courses". The idea of this plugin is that you can create multiple courses and re-use them as activities in any number of other courses.

My suggestion is then to simply create a "single activity" course format and then re-use it with sub courses as many times as you want.

Link to the plugin:

This is not the sleekest option, but it does help. https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_subcourse
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Giovanni Vosloo

by Marie Waterhouse -
Giovanni - thank you. I will look at this plug in with hope!
Keeping the content updated between all instances of its use is an admin nightmare.
With best wishes
Marie
In reply to Giovanni Vosloo

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks Giovanni, this is a super practical plugin. Actually, this is what understand when I think of the concept "meta course" smile.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Marie,
For the specific use you mention, a label, you can do what you want with a template in the Generico filter. You create the filter template with all the info you want in it. Then you can go to any course and add a label. In the label, you add your new Generico template. When you save the label, it will show the info you placed in the template. Repeat the process in all the other courses. If you go update the info in the template, it will automatically show the updated info in all the locations where you have used it.

Then of course, you will also have the added benefit of all the other things you can do with the Generico filter.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marie Waterhouse -
Hello Al,
Thank you for this suggestion. It has taken me a while to get me head around the Generico filter but now I am starting to explore it I can see this will be very useful. Thank you.