Cloze questions get broken when imported

Cloze questions get broken when imported

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When a quiz with Cloze questions is imported to another course, the cloze questions added to the quiz becomes broken. The "Cloze syntax" gets replaced, see image below.

This only happens to the questions added to the quiz, not the other cloze questions in the imported question bank.

Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

Using Moodle 3.8.6

Cloze question

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Cloze questions get broken when imported

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Peter,

What you are describing strikes me as unusual. You can transfer a question from one course to another in different ways, including:

• Directly in the question bank via the site context, if you have access to it.
  • Saving the question in Moodle XML format and then importing it.
  • Using the "Sharing Cart" plugin.
  • Etc.

Could you tell us how you transferred the question(s).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Peter Diedrichs -
Hello Dominique,
the questions was imported with the import functionality in the course administration menu. I imported three quizzes from the same course.
  • One with only Cloze questions. They were all broken when imported.
  • A second with a mix of question types, where all Cloze questions was broken
  • A third with a mix of question types, no questions was broken, not even the cloze questions

The quizzes and questions worked well in the original course

This was repeatable: First the whole course was copied - cloze questions broken as described. Next the quizzes and question bank was imported to another course, same result.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Peter,

You have clearly identified the problem. It might be interesting to know if the same is happening on another site. At first glance, it would appear to be a bug.

Unfortunately, this is beyond my competence. I just wanted to move your question up the list in the hope that someone knowledgeable in this kind of problem can answer you.smile

by Joseph Pinter -

Hi Peter!

We are also having problems with the cloze question type. Just like you described the question answer box seems to be broken when we are importing cloze questiones. We are using the default import function and the plugin Sharing Cart to copy quizes.

Once we preview the copied quiz we get the attached error message. It seems moodle can't recognize the cloze question type because we definetly have installed the neccesary plugins.

I couldn't figure out any solution until now but i wanted to report this case as well, maybe we can get more insight as a group.

We are working on Moodle 3.9.6

Best

Joseph

Attachment clozeFehlermeldung.PNG
In reply to Joseph Pinter

by Peter Diedrichs -
Hi Joseph, is this problem constant for your site, or just with certain quizzes/cloze questions?
I will refer to this discussion in a bug report for the team maintaining the cloze question type.

by Joseph Pinter -
It's pretty constant for the last half of the year. Before that we never had this issue and unfortunately this issue came when we were also having problems with the Import function.
In reply to Joseph Pinter

by Peter Diedrichs -