Tracking students' activities ONLY during their attempts

Re: Tracking students' activities ONLY during their attempts

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Mario, I am enjoying our discussion. Thanks.

The "old" solution (pre-COVID) of trying to control "cheating" was to have students take exams in front of the instructor, who was watching for cheating. Yes, there are third-party products that try to watch students take remote exams, still less than ideal. I am one who believes that the "new" solution is randomized exams, along with better-designed exams that cause students to think, instead of focusing on memory.

I hope that you can communicate to your instructors the advantages and disadvantages of breaking a long quiz into pages. And I hope that your instructors are smart enough to design good quizzes. Maybe you can design a quiz for instructors that illustrates good quiz-design principles that instructors must pass before they are allowed to teach. 🤔

A good question (for you) is, "What do you really need to know to catch a cheater?"  In my case, how a student picks answers, choice a, then c, then back to a, doesn't seem to be connected with cheating.  When I look for cheaters, I use the start/finish time, the student's IP address, and their grades.  This might be the best that any LMS could do.  (Incidentally, Blackboard and Canvas logs are very limited and cannot produce IP addresses!)

So, can the Moodle logs be improved?  Probably so. But the logs, right now, are pretty good.  They capture when the student begins their exam, what the student did before and after the exam, every time they click on a next button, when they prepare to submit, and when they actually submit.  This is a lot of very useful information.  When a student selects a radio button or enters text, you really don't know that they answered a question, nor would you know if they are "cheating."

My school has that Proctorio product, that tries to "observe" the student taking the exam.  I don't use it.  However, Proctorio is apparently very problematic to the point where my school is now restricting who can use it.

One solution is to teach students not to cheat.  But this is difficult when there are many examples of "grownups" getting caught cheating.  In the U.S., we had a recent election where a politician was caught cheating.  Yep, that happens!  And they set the example for students.  (Well, now we are into politics.  Ignore what I just said.)

Another solution is to design better learning and assessment methods.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mario Gharib -
Thanks Rick for this long and detailed and informative reply smile

OK, maybe I didn't say it loud before so here I go. The main reason for me to launch this discussion, is it see if it's possible to track students' activities from the beginning of their attempt till the end of it, including all the information that I've mentioned above, that's it. I am not trying to catch a cheater or an attempt to cheat, just want to have more details about what the student did during his or her attempt. 

As you said, the logs provided by Moodle, especially for an attempt, is good. I also believe it would be amazing if the logs for an attempt can be more detailed because it will allow us to get more data for what students did during their attempts. 

Thanks !
In reply to Mario Gharib

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Great, Mario.

So I think the answer to your original question is "no," Moodle doesn't log many of the items that you asked about. You can always create a Tracker item with your request, if there is not already one created.

Also, I am not sure what your server's logs track. There might be a partial solution to your needs.