How many users can be at the same time in a quiz

How many users can be at the same time in a quiz

by praveen kota -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, 

I'm using Moodle 3.9.3

on shared hosting space

I have an issue with Moodle Quiz access, I had a MCQs test to my students around 200 users tried to attempt that test at a time. My site showing reloading to all the students as below: 

I cropped the screenshot, this is what all the students got at the time of attempting the quiz. After submitting automatically(1 hour quiz time expired). It show normally to teacher, manager, as well for student roles.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this issue for next time

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to praveen kota

Re: How many users can be at the same time in a quiz

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You are going to need a bigger boat moodle. On shared hosting 10 years ago I was pleased to get 18 students to do a quiz simultaneously. Alternatively stagger their attempts to about 20 at a time. Generally shared hosting is quite limited.
In reply to praveen kota

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Your server is under powered, as your other thread Creating large backup file is problem in course confirms. There is a forum dedicated to Hardware and performance. Pl. check the initial pointers in its header and also go through similar questions raised by others.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by praveen kota -
Thank you, for your responses. Yes, I have a problem with Backup, and not solved since. I will go through the Hardware and performance forums, if I found any solutions for my issue I'll post here.
Can you tell me: "how many users can access at the same time in a quiz".
In reply to praveen kota

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
To your question:
> "how many users can access at the same time in a quiz"

As many as the server supports.
smile

Now, more seriously, if you have done the first part - to "go through the Hardware and performance forums - first", you would have had the answer. You may post your findings here for clarity.

N.B. I propose (@moderator) to move this discussion to the Hardware and performance forum.
In reply to praveen kota

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
On shared hosting, you're lucky to have quiz work even for a few users. Shared hosting (as name suggests) are with shared resources, on a typical shared host you get 25% of 1 CPU core and 1GB of SHARED memory allocated to one account. If it wouldn't have been blessings of SSD Drives and improved Instructions per clock of newer CPUs', you would hardly be able to even install moodle on shared server, so consider shared server for your moodle testing or a very new moodle installation where you are starting to collect users and not a fully operational moodle with quizzes.
as you asked, to prevent this issue - either get only 10 users at a time to take quiz, or think of upgrading to a VDS or Dedicated (not even VPS)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)