Front Page options

Front Page options

by Steve Marsh -
Number of replies: 6

Latest moodle version 3.10.3 Standard boost theme

On the front page settings there is a tick box to include course/site summery topic block at the top centre of the home/front page. This is also displayed on the home / front page before authenticated users log in.

Despite spending loads of time searching the internet, going through moodle docs, rumbling through permissions etc and even though one user managed to show it could be done using restrict access (which I also tried and failed) I have not manged to stop a message being placed in the course/site summer box both before and after login.

What I am trying to do is display a message to authenticated, logged in students in the course/site summery topic block but not on the home/front page which is open to the general viewing.

Does anyone know or have a solution to display a message at the top centre of the front page once logged in that will not display before logging in in the course/site summery topic block ?

I don’t want it to be applied in a separate block to the side. What is really needed is for it to be an option in the front page before/after login drop down box options.

Many Thanks for any help.

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Marsh

Re: Front Page options

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Steve. The course/site summary box will always appear on the side, so if you want it in the centre, then turn on the editing on the front page and add a label with your text that you only want displayed to people once they have logged in. Then click the Restrict access settings ( I know you said it didn't work, so perhaps you can say how you set it up?) and select User profile and then do it as in the screenshot below, remembering to click the 'eye' icon to close it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Marsh -
Hi Mary
Many Thanks or your response. I think we may be talking about different a different section or block, in the front page settings where there are drop down boxes for front page/front page when logged in, below that is a tick box to “Include a topic section”. This puts a block or section in the top centre of the front page both logged in and on non-logged in front page.

I have created a label and added the restricted access settings as you have shown in the same block but this does not make any difference as anything in the topic is still displayed even to non-logged in users/general public display.

As a last resort I created a new subdomain on another site with a new clean installation as a test and creating the label with the restrictions and it does work on that installation as expected so not sure why it doesn’t work on our live working site. Think I will have to take another look at all the defined roles and permissions again and see if they can be reset to original settings without causing too much trouble on the rest of the site.

However, I think it could be a lot easier by letting the topic block be a choice on the drop down menu boxes and save having to add a label to achieve the same thing, maybe one or the developers.

Right off to have another look at the problem and see if I can pick up on anything.
Again thanks for your help.
Steve
In reply to Steve Marsh

by Steve Marsh -
Update - reset all defined roles / permissions to default and problem still exists.

Really don't want to back everything up and start again as I don't know where else to go with this now.

Steve
In reply to Steve Marsh

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve - yes I know exactly what you mean but I don't think you can use the Restrict access settings in the topic section - I dont know why. (I just tested on sandbox.moodle.org.) But I know it works with a label as I wrote this years back: Show a different page to guests and logged in users. So can you remove the information from the topic section and add it to the label - would it work then?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Marsh -
Hi Mary

As I mentioned I created a label with the restrict access and it didn't work on the live site, it did work on a fresh installation so something in the live site is stopping the restriction for working I guess. I have reset all the defined roles as I thought it was some permission causing it but not sure where to head now without backing everything up and starting again.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Steve
In reply to Steve Marsh

by Steve Marsh -
Update for anyone else who may have the same problem anytime.

Don't know how it happened but I went into the permissions of the label and for the "Activity: Label" the "mod/label:view" was set for Authenticated user and Guest as Roles with Permissions, once Guest was removed it worked as it should and was only displayed on front page once logged in as with Mary's solution.

Many Thanks for your help Mary.
Regards
Steve
Average of ratings: Useful (1)