Reading quiz timings for different groups in a metacourse

Reading quiz timings for different groups in a metacourse

by Cris Fuhrman -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I use reading quizzes, which basically open at the end of one course (synchronous meeting) and close 15 minutes before the next. Basically, it gives students time to understand the reading material before they participate synchronously. I want to understand how to accomplish this in a metacourse with different timings for each group. I want to reuse a quiz for all the groups in the metacourse. 

I remember abandoning metacourses at my university because I couldn't define a single quiz with different timings according to the different course (section?) meetings. But I see now that there is an option on my university's "create course" page to have separate groups/groupings for each "section". If I have a moodle group/grouping with students from each section, theoretically that's useful.

For example, one group's meetings are on Wednesday and another's are on Thursday. Each reading quiz would need a different timing for each group. How does one do this in a metacourse? Is it an override for each group (or the default timing for the quiz is for the first group and an override is done for each subsequent group)?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Reading quiz timings for different groups in a metacourse

by Cris Fuhrman -
After playing around with this for a few hours, I can't see that it's possible (at my university, anyway). Here's what I tried and why it doesn't work:

Option A
The metacourse has quiz activities with group overrides for the different open/close dates. I can create the overrides just fine (the groups for the child courses are there in the metacourse). The problem is that the dates don't show up on students calendars. As an instructor I can see the date of a quiz if it's set in the Timing, but none of the overridden (group) dates show up (that I can see). I suspect the calendar shows the "timing" date by default, but I am not 100% sure if it will work for students in the other group. Can anyone verify if override dates appear in students' calendars? Maybe this option could work? It's hard to test these things since I don't think I can become a student in one of the groups.

Option B
Create quiz activites in child courses (not ideal, since I have to duplicate them, they contain the same questions). The problem is that a child course can't access the question bank of the metacourse. I remember there's a workaround, but one has to be admin (which is not possible in my university).
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Reading quiz timings for different groups in a metacourse

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Re A) Group overides should appear in the calendar (I thought). But, how Moodle calendar works is a bit of a mystery to me.