It seems that the HTTPS certificate is self-signed or not trusted. The mobile app will only work with trusted sites.

It seems that the HTTPS certificate is self-signed or not trusted. The mobile app will only work with trusted sites.

by Johan Ericka -
Number of replies: 4

hi,

i just clone moodle from my development server to production server.

everything works fine except mobile app cannot connect to our production server (but it's connected to our moodle installation in development server).

from the production server moodle's admin panel i found this message It seems that the HTTPS certificate is self-signed or not trusted. The mobile app will only work with trusted sites.

i use certificate from letsencrypt (free 😁) installed using certbot (both on my development and production server). i have verified the certificate using ssllabs.com and digicert.com and everything is OK (got Grade A in ssllabs.com)

i have notice there was thread started by Ken TaskAlbert Ramsbottom and Issa Mchongoma some time ago about this error, but can't find the solution.

this is my setup (both on production & development server):

• Centos 7 😀 on production server (i know it's obsolete but this is all i got from the IT dept)
  • Centos 8 on development server
  • PHP 7.4
  • MariaDB v15.1
  • Moodle 3.10
  • Letsencrypt R3 (free) for SSL

the strange thing is the mobile app work on my development server but can't connected to production server with error mentioned above (not found this error in my development server).

is upgrading the OS (from centos 7.9 to 8.3) will solve the problem ? i mean it's on production server and already running for days (i can take it down for upgrade in the midnight).

or maybe there is another workaround for this ?

any clue will be appreciated

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Johan Ericka

Re: It seems that the HTTPS certificate is self-signed or not trusted. The mobile app will only work with trusted sites.

by T K -
I am currently facing the same issue, I wonder if there is a solution to this? We are using paid SSL through a vendor. Now sure how to make it 'trusted'.
In reply to T K

Re: It seems that the HTTPS certificate is self-signed or not trusted. The mobile app will only work with trusted sites.

by Noel De Martin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi there,

There is usually a reason for this error, but it's difficult to say without looking at the specific certificate. Can you share the url of your Moodle site? Feel free to send me a private message or email if you don't want to share it publicly.

In reply to Johan Ericka

by Georg Gruber -
Hello,

also the same problem. It's working on iOS Devices but not on Android Mobile Phones. I`ve read somewhere that this should be fixed with Moodle 4 but still the same issue. We are using paid SSL through a vendor too.

Kind Regards
In reply to Georg Gruber

by Noel De Martin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi there,

Can you confirm that using these websites you don't get any warnings?

Even if you are using a paid SSL vendor, it could be misconfigured. The error you're getting is likely something at the OS level, we don't do anything special in the app to check the validity of certificates.