I defined a new role (Parent), but this role cannot see Front Page News

I defined a new role (Parent), but this role cannot see Front Page News

by Erin Billy -
Number of replies: 3

I have seen several posts about this problem, but they seem to be pretty old. I have tried various combinations of settings without luck.

Basically I created a Parent role (for parents to see their kids' reports). It's working well, but when I test it with my test parent account, the Front Page news doesn't display. Instead, they get this message:

Subject (hidden)

Wednesday, December 31, 1969, 4:00 PM
This post cannot be viewed by you, probably because you have not posted in the discussion, the maximum editing time hasn't passed yet, the discussion has not started or the discussion has expired.

For Front page settings > Default frontpage role, I have it set to None. I have tried changing some permissions in the new parent role (eg, mod/forum:viewdiscussion), but that hasn't changed anything.

I know I'm missing something obvious, but I'm stuck now. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erin Billy

Re: I defined a new role (Parent), but this role cannot see Front Page News

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Erin,
have you tried in Front page settings > Default frontpage role, selecting Authenticated User?
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Erin,

+1 to the response from Beatriz. Ever user must be authenticated user and whatever role you give them, just make sure it is set that way.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Erin Billy -
Thanks!
I did want to try that, but I don't have that option available to me. (Not sure whether it has anything to do with my theme or version.)

Here's what I see:

I did try choosing 'student' as the default frontpage role, but that didn't change anything.