(Workplace) Certifications and Programs

(Workplace) Certifications and Programs

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 5

Happy Monday!!

I'm a bit confused by how Certifications are working and am hoping that someone can explain this to me.  

To me, a Program is a group of related courses that all need to be completed in order to get credit.  For instance, a Cyber Security Awareness program that consists of 10 different courses on varying topics.  There may or may not be a certification involved, but the key is there are 10 different courses required.

To me, a Certification can be either one course that needs to be taken at some cadence like yearly or a program.  I'd like clarification on one course needing yearly certification.  It could be a HIPAA course that changes and/or you want to make a new version that is more engaging.  In order for the user to be updated on changes, they need to re-take or re-certify every year.  I don't understand how this is a program.

In order to set up a certification, you must create a program.  So, can a program have one course in it?  I assume so.  Then, how do you add the new version of the course for the next year?

(Edited by Mary Cooch to clarify Moodle Workplace - original submission Monday, 19 April 2021, 3:10 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: (Workplace) Certifications and Programs

by Emilio Lozano -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jackie,

Certifications in Workplace are recurring programs, they could be a one-off thing or they might need to be taken at some cadence. If your Certification only requires one course to be completed, then you'll need to create a program with a single course.

With Recertification, you can configure the cadence and also choose a different program for the recertification.

Let me illustrate with an example. Let's say you have a Health and Safety Certification you want your staff to take every year, to be certified for the first time they'll need to take the full program but to renew/retake the certification they will only be required to take the "refresher" course (with legislation changes, etc.)

In Workplace, you would two programs:

• Health and Safety: full program with all courses
  • Health and Safety refresher: program with the "refresher" course only. The refresher course would be updated every year

And a single certification, selecting:

• Certification program = Health and Safety
  • Expiry date = configure accordingly
  • Require recertification = Yes
  • Select a different program = Yes (Health and Safety refresher)
  • Expiry date (recertification) = configure accordingly

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Emilio

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Emilio Lozano

by Jackie Toth -
Thanks so much, Emilio. So, Program is/are the recurring courses and Certification is like the wrapper that sets up the cadence, etc.?? I'm assuming I can have just a Program without a Certification if it were a one-time set of courses to be taken.
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Emilio Lozano -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jackie,

That's it. Yes, you can have just a program for one-time set of courses to be taken, and you can also have a one-off certification if you need it. Cadence in Certifications is optional.

Possibilities are endless, for example you could define a shared program (Program in the Shared Space) and then create certifications in different tenants pointing to the same program but overriding dates or having their own dynamic rules (i.e. issuing a certificate upon completion). You would end up having different configurations for the same set of courses with a single source of truth.

How cool is that? 😉

Cheers,
Emilio
In reply to Emilio Lozano

by Jackie Toth -
Good Morning Emilio!!

That is very cool and I am loving Moodle Workplace! I so appreciate you explanation. So, am I correct in saying that, if I have a one-off Program (a set of related courses that learner only needs to complete once, I do not need to set up a Certification?
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Emilio Lozano -
Nope, I can confirm you don't need to set up Certifications for one-off programs smile