FTP to Repositories in Moodle 3.6.3

FTP to Repositories in Moodle 3.6.3

by Paul Russell -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I am very new to this so sorry if this is the wrong place. I have looked everywhere but cannot find the answer.

I need to FTP a large amount of files, including mp4, jpg, pdf, and so on, to a repository from where they can be pulled into my course as required.

I do not want the directory itself to be accessible. So if someone edits the url to the directory root they should not be able to see the file list.

I have full server access and can create directories and set permissions and so on.

When I look this up the instructions start with

"Find the moodledata folder on the server"

which is not there so I am stuck.

There is a "repository" directory.

Can I use this and just add sub-directories as required?

If so what are the correct permissions for the directories I add?

Will moodle then find them or does it deed to be informed in some way of their availability?

Are their full file lists hidden from the web. I note that my /repository/directory gives 404 but repository/upgrade.txt is accessible to the world. Which is what I want.

However if I create a sub directory in the repository directory with permissions set to 755 and put a file in it as follows:

repository/testpaul/dark.jpg

it gives 404. So I am stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Russell

Re: FTP to Repositories in Moodle 3.6.3

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The name, path to, and location of moodledata is in your config.php file as variable $CFG->dataroot =.  Typical name for it is moodledata but there is no requirement for that name ... could be called 'data'.

In moodle, a file system repository is usually in moodledata/repository/[some_manually_created_folder]   The some_manually_created_folder is among the directories an ftp client can see/write to/delete from.

Please see:

https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/File_system_repository

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: FTP to Repositories in Moodle 3.6.3

by Paul Russell -
Thanks Ken.
I have now found it. I did not understand that it was in the server root. The biggest problems are always the most obvious. smile
thanks again