Images added in forum posts doesn't appear in emails.

Images added in forum posts doesn't appear in emails.

by Roshan Kolar Ganeshan -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

I'm sorry for adding this issue here, this is because I was not able to find a solid fix for this anywhere even though there are several places where this issue has been notified.

Adding images in forum posts would show it inline in the email (we use Gmail for education) which suddenly stopped after an upgrade 3 years ago. We now get a broken link like display in the emails which doesn't look so great. I was never able to find a fix for this. I thought it was the Gmail filter creating the problem. 

We have 2 Moodle installations, one with 3.10 for all staff and students for the daily e-learning. The other is an exam server that has M 3.6.3+. I recently noticed that the exam server forum can still send images from forums to the email and the image is perfectly visible inline (NOT ATTACHED). I checked all the incoming and outgoing message settings and everything looks intact. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Roshan 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roshan Kolar Ganeshan

Re: Images added in forum posts doesn't appear in emails.

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Roshan,

I did some testing on our 3.8.2 test site and all worked 100%. It was sent to 365 Outlook, so perhaps it might be Google after al?

In reply to Giovanni Vosloo

Hi Giovanni,

I'm glad to hear that your 3.8.2 works fine with inline images. We went from 3.6 to 3.10, but the issue was there even in 3.6. In the exam moodle server (3.6), I tried checking all the outgoing and incoming settings and couldn't find anything that was different. We have got several complaints from staff and students about this. I really hope I can sort this out someday. But thanks for your update, that means I still have some hope of getting it fixed. To be honest, I don't know where to start to check the Google settings in Gmail admin console.

Thanks,
Roshan

I wanted to add this too, might be more clearer.

It works on Moodle 3.6.3+ (an exam server we use just for online assessments). The image link of a test that I did, which successfully came into my Gmail official email is as follows:

(cant paste the code because it shows the image)

It doesn't work on my production eLearning Moodle that's on 3.10. The image was shows as a broken image in the email (with a cross mark, and a rectangle around the borders of the blank white space). This is the link of that missing image (taken from the email):

The working link is crazy long and the one that doesn't is short. The best deference I can make our of the two smile
Adding this here in case it helps anyone figure my issue out.

Hi there,

Can someone help me with this issue?