Once I updated it to site the issue went away and then I decided to also do the same to our live 3.8.1 site because we will be upgrading that one this next weekend. Thanks for the illumination on this Leon. No, our site is only like 8 years old. I have a vague memory from about 8 years ago of doing a mass update on that field to set everything to topic, since our instructors had each experimented with different formats for each of their courses until Administration defined a global perspective for all courses taught here at the college. So I did the mass update at that time and likely overwrote the setting then not knowing that course id 1 should remain as 'site'.