Clustered Moodle disk access speed (NFS)

Clustered Moodle disk access speed (NFS)

by Red Nano -
Number of replies: 3

I'm trying to implement a clustered environment on AWS

On the benchmark section, I get all greens except for the temp files section, in which I access the NFS share and thus, get a really slow performance.

According to the Cluster installation guidelines, the temp dir MUST be shared between the hosts https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Server_cluster#.24CFG-.3Etempdir 

However, setting the tempdir to tmpfs on each host boosts the benchmark numbers up a lot.

My question is: What I used session stickyness with this local temp caching solution? Wouldn't I bypass the necessity to share the temp folders?

Is there any other way to share the temp folders in a more efficient way?

Any NFS mount or tunning advice? There's lots of info around the web but most of them are either outdated or just plain don't work.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Red Nano

Re: Clustered Moodle disk access speed (NFS)

by Matt T -
I'm afraid I can't offer any NFS tuning advice.

In case you haven't already given it some thought, you may want to consider GlusterFS or some other clustered file system instead of NFS (aka EFS on AWS). See the below posts.

In reply to Matt T

by Red Nano -
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
I was mentioning NFS but it's EFS what I'm using.
Since it's practically the same as NFS, I was referring to it as suck. Sorry for the mix up.

Looks like I'll have to give glusterfs a try since that guy you linked on the previous post is having exactly the same speeds as I do on my enviro.

Regards!
In reply to Red Nano

by Red Nano -
I was able to install glusterfs, but for some reason, setting the whole moodledata folder on it made moodle crash.

Now, I only mounted the temp directory and there's an improvement but I still get red on the read (1 s) and write (12s) benchmarks.

I've been tunning glusterfs but can't reduce those times.

Any suggestion?