Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Next Level MOOC

Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Next Level MOOC

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

For anyone who already knows the basics of teaching with Moodle and wishes to extend and improve their online teaching skills, a free, self-paced MOOC is now available - Moodle Teaching Next Level.

We would love to hear what you think of the course, if anything is unclear, or you have any ideas for improvements. Please let us know by replying to this discussion.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Next Level MOOC

by Alan Coe -
Hi Mary, these are great courses. Thank you for making them. Here's some minor stuff:

Issue: sentence isn't clear.
Where: Section Make more of Moodle / Book: Make more of Moodle / page 2 "more on Quiz"
what:
Question behaviours - Specify whether your learners see the answers immediately, whether they see hints and/or whether they are penalised for guessing by reading the Question behaviours documentation.

Changed to:
...whether they are penalised for guessing.  Learn more by reading the question behaviours documentation
------------------------
Issue: Don't know what UDL is.
"He recently took a MOOC on UDL and wants to offer the group a choice of ways to introduce themselves."
In reply to Alan Coe

by Alan Coe -
Forget the UDL part, it's explained a couple pages before the page I linked to, so it's fine.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks -just changed that.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
at:
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=149225
3. In your practice course, create a quiz with no time limit and with Deferred feedback. In Extra restrictions on attempts, check the box for the quiz to be attempted offline and then log in via the Moodle app as your test student. Download the quiz, attempt it offline (perhaps you'll need to turn off your wifi or mobile internet) and then reconnect and sync your quiz. Log in as the teacher and view the results."

The problem is that on the iphone moodle app, there's no way to log out and log in as someone else. I did it once, but I think what I did is I clicked "go to the website" and then I wasn't accessing the app, and then I logged in as a test student, but not via the app. I think also the download buttons were in a different place than what the instructions said in this section, but I figured it out. Ultimately it was a good activity to do. And fun to then see the score while logged in as admin on another device afterward!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
I like how the "Task" section before the quizzes are so essential to passing the quiz, and also how it creates hands-on learning.

However here:
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=149223
Use a database preset from the Moodle.net archive (opens in new window) to create your own database activity in your practice course.

It didn't work for me. It wasn't greatly discussed in the book "Engage Your Learners" preceding it, but part of the hands on was me looking up the documentation on how to do it. I tried to import the food for moodlers database, after downloading it onto my computer desktop. But nothing worked.

I added a database activity, gave it a name. Hit "save and display", clicked the presets tab. Imported from a zip file. Get an "import error" Also get something called "field mappings." Then "import error."

It's a neat assignment if it would have worked because it shows you don't always have to start from scratch with a database or glossary.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
What kind of Moodle site do you have - is it a MoodleCloud site or one you have downloaded yourself? What version? Can you try on sandbox.moodledemo.net?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Thanks Mary, even just this process and learning about the sandbox helps my learning. So it works in the sandbox, though I wish the downloadable preset had been populated with one or two sample items, because at first I thought it didn’t work, then realized it was just empty. But maybe a preset can’t have content. Then I did the exact same thing in MoodleCloud and it didn't work. Here are screenshots:
Attachment db preset 1.jpg
Attachment db preset 2.jpg
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Alan. I am afraid there is currently a bug with importing presets into MoodleCloud - which I reported in fact - I will go and see if it is being worked on. It does work in other sites though. A preset is an empty template.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=149229
....Both these courses contain competencies. Access the Competencies link in the navigation drawer and view the New Staff induction competency breakdown report, using the jump to menu and filters to switch users and activities.

I didn't see any way to see or switch users.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Re competency breakdown report, do you not see the following screen shot? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -

I get these. The second one is after I select something in the pulldown menu. I use an unusual browser. Brave browser. Maybe that's it.

Attachment filter_1.jpg
Attachment filter_2.jpg
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Are you in the right place? If you are in https://school.moodledemo.net/admin/tool/lp/coursecompetencies.php?courseid=64 then you will see what you have - that is Competencies in the navigation drawer. But if you go to the Competency breakdown report https://school.moodledemo.net/report/competency/index.php?id=64 (a different link, as explained in the page on Competencies https://learn.moodle.org/mod/book/view.php?id=149221&chapterid=24404 (see How to monitor completion of competencies) then you should see both.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
So in the book that precedes the "Tasks" the description to access it is correct, but in the following, the path didn't work for me:
Access the Competencies link in the navigation drawer and view the New Staff induction competency breakdown report, using the jump to menu and filters to switch users and activities.

So if you are at the new staff induction page, and you select 'Competencies' in the Nav drawer. You don't get a page where you can switch users. But you do get a pulldown menu which is what I sent screen shots of. I'd suggest:

Access the Competencies link in the navigation drawer and view the New Staff induction competency breakdown report. Then go back out to the New Staff induction Course page > Course Action (cog) menu > more > and select the 'reports' tab > "competency breakdown". Then experiment with using the 'jump to' menu and filters to switch users and activities.

I see the links to these pages all work, I didn't even think of clicking on those. Rather I try to navigate to those pages from within the Mount Orange site.

Competencies related to activity and course completions is a hard concept to grasp, but now that I see what this is I realize how valuable it would be in the right situation. -A way to equate practical skills to Activity and lesson completion.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=149229

Using your teacher login as above, access the World of Water course Poem assignment grading screen and...
--suggested change:
Using your teacher login as above, access the World of Water course Poem assignment grading screen (first select 'past' in the Course Overview pulldown menu) and...
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -

4. In the same course as in (3) above, access the Class discussions forum and post a private reply to student Barbara. Log in with the username = student and password = moodle and check see can see but not reply to your reply.

to

4. In the same course as in (3) above, access the Class discussions forum and post a private reply to student Barbara. Log in with the username = student and password = moodle and check to observe that she can see, but not reply, to your reply.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Minor typo on quiz question in "support your learners"

Martin wants to avoid desiging his own survey if possible.
designing
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
From "Support Your Learners" quiz.

Horatio wants to use group messaging with his class. He uses groups but the group messaging panel in his messaging drawer says 0. He asked the administrator who assured him that group messaging is enabled on the site and he checked that his groups have group messaging enabled. What could be the reason why the group messaging panel says 0?

The problem with this question is if you go to Mount Orange, log in as a teacher and to to the Russian Revolution course, and make two groups and add yourself (teacher) to the groups, it still shows (0) in messaging, when logged in as teacher, and logging in as student the groups in messaging don't show up either.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Finished it. Great course! I learned a lot. It was hard at the end and I had to find external videos on youtube about certain topics, like "Colles Survey", but that ended up being part of the learning process and how to figure things out in moodle. On one hand not scoring high enough on first 2 attempts of the quizzes was making me dig for info in the course books and sometimes 3rd party videos and all that made me learn even more, and on another level it brought my self esteem down by having to take the quiz 3 times to pass. LOL.
Key point: I learned a lot.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks for all your feedback Alan. I will be updating these courses for Moodle 4.0 and Academy so will make these edits as appropriate in the new 4.0 versions. Regarding the comment about group messaging, I tried what you said - made a group in the Russian Revolution course, enabled group messaging and added myself to the group and it did work as expected, so I am not sure what you did differently. Did you set group messaging to "Yes" when making the group?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Hi Mary, you're the premier Moodle Instructional designer! I learned a lot thanks to your instruction. Moodle will soon be a competitor to Articulate Rise. It already can be but people don't know it.

On Groups:, you solved it. "Group messaging" which I didn't even see until now, was set to 'no.'
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Greg Rich Debonair -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for this, i find it very helpful for staff ie introduction to teaching with Moodle
Thanks again.
Greg