Assingment Based Attendance

Assingment Based Attendance

by Dr. Qaiser J. Rana -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone.

I am using Moodle 3.8.2 and I am wondering how we can implement assignment based attendance. By this, I mean that if a student turns in an assignment, a worth of 4 hours of time is added to their attendance.

Please advise us if there is a way to accomplish this because our class is asynchronous so students are studying from home and their schedules vary.

We want to give students credit for the work they do in terms of hours.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr. Qaiser J. Rana

Re: Assingment Based Attendance

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It would be helpful to tell us how you grade "attendance." Is it 0 or 1, based on whether or not they did an assignment?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dr. Qaiser J. Rana -
Hello Rick. We would like to grade the attendance based on the completion of an assignment, a certain amount of "hours" or points are added.
We intend to document the contact hours as well as the grade they earned.
Let me explain it. students have 20 assignments. they need to completed those assignments in 100 contact hours. Students are completing these assignments distantly at their own time. For every assignment, they should receive 5 contact hours, in addition to the grade we give them for the assignment.
Your attention to our inquiry is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
In reply to Dr. Qaiser J. Rana

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
A common approach is to give grades in "credit hours". For example, for the assignment you are talking about, the maximum grade is 4 "credit hours". In fact, Moodle knows only "points". That they are measured in "credit hours" in just an arrangement between you and the students.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Corporate LMS systems tend to do this by having a "CPD hours" value you can assign to the activity or the course then you generate reports based on that value. I've done something similar in Moodle using custom course fields, and you could also use this plugin to allow you to add a custom "hours" value to a specific activity:
https://moodle.org/plugins/local_modcustomfields

Then you'd need to write a custom report that allowed you to report on that per user.

although - before you do anything .... make sure you upgrade to a recent supported release first... support for the 3.8 branch ends next month.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dr. Qaiser J. Rana -
Thanks Dan.

We have installed the plugin and are currently working on it. We will keep you posted.
Thanks again.