How to restore the plugins and it's settings during Moodle upgrade from version 3.10.1 To 3.10.3

How to restore the plugins and it's settings during Moodle upgrade from version 3.10.1 To 3.10.3

by Kamatchi Sundaram -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my existing Moodle version 3.10.1 to 3.10.3. 

Documents https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Upgrading looks good but except plugin section.

Moodle Env:

AppServer: Centos 7.9 standalone installation (not in container)

DB server: CentOS 7.9 Postgresql runs in docker Container

so advise me how to restore the plugins and it's settings post Moodle upgrade from version 3.10.1 To 3.10.3

1. Where ( in which Directory ) plugins and it's config stores ?

2. Does restoring the appropriate plugin's config files and directory works?

3. Is there any alternate method to restore the plugins. 

Appreciate your quick Support !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kamatchi Sundaram

Re: How to restore the plugins and it's settings during Moodle upgrade from version 3.10.1 To 3.10.3

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Kamatchi,

The location of plugin folder will depend on the plugin itself. Our client upgrades are done each year, so our method has been working for a long time and proved to be reliable.

1. We upgrade the site.
2. Install the theme.
3. Install the plugins.

Upgrading the site will not keep the theme and plugins, but you do still keep the plugin settings. All settings are located in the database, if the plugin is done right. Once you install that plugin again, it will just use the settings out of the database. This also goes for the theme, but some themes still break as settings change etc, so just double check and save any custom CSS used.

I hope this helps.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Giovanni Vosloo

Re: How to restore the plugins and it's settings during Moodle upgrade from version 3.10.1 To 3.10.3

by Kamatchi Sundaram -
Hi Vosloo and Friends,

One quick question, in my system 500+ plugins and 100+ additional Plugins are there.

Installing one by one is time consuming process and increase downtime window.

So how to install all the plugin in one go. Is there any script?

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Always a Pleasure to be of assistance. Only the "Additional" plugins need to be installed and the others are all core code, Moodle just lists it as plugins due to the module build. Our general rule of thumb is to first look at clean-up of plugins to keep it as clean as possible before upgrades, that helps to get the list shorter, then you will notice plugins like the "Custom certificate" installs many plugins, but it is only one plugin.

Looking forward to hearing about your post upgrade.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Kamatchi Sundaram -
Thanks for your quick reply. Let me collect information about installed plugging and will upgrade.

I will post my comments post-upgrade.

by Matt T -
If you are managing a complex install with many plugins you should use git to manage the codebase. This allows you to upgrade code code with one command, and it will simply add, delete or modify files as need be, and will leave your plugin files alone.

https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Git_for_Administrators
Average of ratings: Useful (1)