Quiz submitted after 17 minutes and 47 seconds

Quiz submitted after 17 minutes and 47 seconds

Barbara Taylor - මගින්
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone,

We have a quiz that had an end time of 11:59pm. One of the students was taking the exam and it closed at 10:59pm after only 17 minutes and 47 seconds of answering questions. There were other students taking it that didn't have any problems at the same time this student was taking it.

I am attaching a screenshot that shows the student going along nicely then suddenly it was submitted. The student is in another country so we aren't sure if the ISP has anything to do with it. Our settings are for assignments to be due on our server time. We don't see anything that looks "off" in comparison to the other students. We would expect to see a summary page prior to the submission but that isn't there. We have see other students go from "quiz attempt viewed" to "quiz attempt submitted" when they ran out of time. This student didn't run out of time.

Any thoughts on what could have happened and/or if the ISP or even a VPN might have caused a timing issue?logs of quiz

Thank you,

Barbara

ශ්‍රේණිගත කිරීම්වල සාමාන්යය: -
In reply to Barbara Taylor

Re: Quiz submitted after 17 minutes and 47 seconds

Rick Jerz - මගින්
Particularly helpful Moodlers ගේ පින්තුරය Testers ගේ පින්තුරය
How do you know that the student didn't submit their quiz?
In reply to Rick Jerz

Barbara Taylor - මගින්
All other students have "Quiz Attempt Summary" in the logs. In our testing, a student gets to the last question (displayed one question at a time) and then is taken to the summary page to review any questions they skipped or flagged prior to clicking the button to submit the quiz and confirming they want to submit the exam. This student doesn't have the Quiz Attempt Summary indicator in the logs. Here is the example of the logs from another student. This student completed the exam about 5 minutes early.

quiz attempt summary indicator in quiz logs

Rick Jerz - මගින්
I don't know.

If it were me, I would explore Moodle's logstore table to see all clicks by this student around the time of this quiz (like +/- an hour.)

What a student does within a quiz is a little tricky to follow, and even though I have looked at the logstore actions (viewed, submitted, started, and reviewed) I don't know how moodle maps these to the report logs, that you are looking at.  

Rick Jerz - මගින්
Okay, I did a bit more probing because you had me curious.

Yes, it appears that this student's quiz was "submitted" because time expired because of the lack of "Quiz attempt summary viewed."

So, we are back to server-time, quiz-time, and submit time.

Are you sure that your quiz expiration time is being seen in the same timezone as your server time? Maybe the person who set the 11:59 ending was not in the same timezone, for example.

You should be able to recreate this with a dummy quiz and a dummy student. It will take some experimenting on your end.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Barbara Taylor - මගින්
Hi Rick,

I have verified our server time, student time, and instructor time are all on the same timezone. I tested this with a testing account and the time was correct. The log time shows the same time as the student time. Is there somewhere our database team could look to see if there is/was a different time set? Another student taking it at the same time didn't have any problems and had the full amount of time. Is there something in the logs that I don't see that would show the student change their time zone in their profile?

Thanks,
Barbara

Rick Jerz - මගින්
I don't know. If I were exploring this, I would use a bogus student, watch the logstore table as I made changes to my timezone.

As you describe this problem, it does make me wonder if a student, trying to be clever, attempts to change their timezone to give themselves more quiz time. In this case, perhaps they went the wrong way?

I would investigate the logstore entries for this one student to see what else they were doing around the quiz time.

select * from mdl_logstore_standard_log
where userid = (you fill in the student's id)
order by timecreated desc