Manual completion and restrictions

Manual completion and restrictions

by Michelle Robinson -
Number of replies: 5

We have recently taken several years worth of training material from multiple locations and are now housing it all within Moodle.  I don't want students who had previously completed the training to be forced to repeat it, so I have manually ticked the completion box - as an Admin - for several users, resulting in a red dotted-line check box.  The issue that I'm running into is that restrictions based on activity completion are still in place, as shown in the image below.

"Employee Injury Training" is marked complete, but is still showing as restricted under "Course Completion".

When a student completes the Employee Injury Training and the check box is blue, that line item is no longer listed under Course Completion, as the system has recognized that the criteria has been met.  

I need the restrictions in place for NEW students, but can't figure out how to correctly update existing users who don't need to repeat the training.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Robinson

Re: Manual completion and restrictions

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Michelle - I'd like to replicate your issue. But before I do that, could you please let me know:

- Is it the SCORM activity titled 'Employee Injury Training' that you're having trouble with?
- Which version of Moodle are you using?

Ravi
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by Michelle Robinson -

Hi Ravi,

Thank you!  Yes, the issue is with the Employee Injury Training SCORM and associated Quiz.  I'm using Moodle 3.9

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Michelle - I've just tested this on my own Moodle 3.9 site. I set up a SCORM activity and a Quiz, and I made the next Topic dependent on completion of these items. I manually marked these activities as completed for a dummy student (using the Activity Completion report on the admin side), and I could confirm that the student could view the next Topic. Even when I set more complex completion settings for the SCORM activity (such as passing grade), marking the activity as completed did result in the expected behaviour of the student being able to see the next Topic.

So I'm afraid I'm not running into the same obstacle as you are. Perhaps you could also test things with a dummy course, activities and students to see if it works correctly in that instance?

Best,
Ravi

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Michelle,

I remember we had a similar request from one of our clients and we ended up just running a script in the database to update those fields. Keep us posted on the results and let us know if we can help.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Are you viewing this from a teacher/manager perspective or a student perspective? If you login as the student do you have the same issues? I ask because teacher/manager/admin view is a lot different than student. Also, even when the activity is completed (manual or via completion) the restrictions may show up--because they are still restrictions.

Is it possible your restrictions are all and not any? Do you want them to continue if one of the three is accurate or all three? This is relevant. Your screen capture shows two activities but the course completion has three. I've never seen course completion look like that--is that a topic you have named course completion?