Change password policy

Change password policy

by Jennifer Lam -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

May I ask if anyone know if I now change the password policy now (from at least 8 characters to 12 characters), what will happen to the users? Will they be prompted to update when they next login or will they still be able to log in until the password expired? We are planning to update the policy and need to inform the users what to do. Thank you!

Best regards

Jennifer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Lam

Re: Change password policy

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The policy will only take effect when the user next changes their password for whatever reason.

Changing the policy does not force all users to change their password.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Hawkins -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Testers
This will depend whether the site admin setting "Check password on login" (passwordpolicycheckonlogin) is enabled. If that setting is enabled, users whose password does not meet the new policy will be required to change their password when they next log in.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Hawkins

by Jennifer Lam -
Thanks both,

I cannot see the Check password on login" (passwordpolicycheckonlogin) setting, maybe because we are using Totara V9.
From the guide, I can see there is a bulk user action which allow us to force password change for all users which would be ideal.

Thank you again
In reply to Jennifer Lam

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Yes, the setting Michael mentions was added to Moodle 3.9. Totara 9 was based on Moodle 3.3/3.4 from 2017.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)