Feedback on essay questions during a quiz

Feedback on essay questions during a quiz

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 3
Core developers को तस्बिर Particularly helpful Moodlers को तस्बिर Plugin developers को तस्बिर Testers को तस्बिर

I have a requirement to allow teachers to give text feedback to students attempting essay questions during a quiz. The idea is that each question would be on a separate page. When the get to the last question they could scroll back to the first question and see any feedback the teacher had left. The two ways I can think of  that might address this are

a) Clone the manual grading report and add code to that

b) A question behaviour that allowed feedback to be entered from the review attempts page.

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Feedback on essay questions during a quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers को तस्बिर Documentation writers को तस्बिर Particularly helpful Moodlers को तस्बिर Peer reviewers को तस्बिर Plugin developers को तस्बिर
I think the main problem is that the existing manual grading code expects to only work after each question is 'finished'. And, for essay questions, there is no way for them to get to 'finished' state, until the whole quiz attempt is submitted.

I wonder a bit whether what you are doing is really a quiz, of whether it is better thought of as a new actiity module. (However, if using quiz gives you enough benefits, then no harm it in.)

I think that the core of anything you develop needs to be a new question behaviour, which allows students to edit their response, and teachers to add comments in any order. (Or, would there be a single teacher comment which keeps getting edited?) Could be nice if the teacher can add separate comments, each of which gets a checkbox, so the student can mark it as done when they think they have attended to it? (See what I mean about, perhaps this is a new activtiy type.)

In addition to the question behaviour, you might also want to create a quiz report, like the manual grading report, so the teacher can quickly find all the questions where the student had edited their answer since the last teacher comment, so they can get there and comment again.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Core developers को तस्बिर Particularly helpful Moodlers को तस्बिर Plugin developers को तस्बिर Testers को तस्बिर
Thanks Tim, most appreciated. I considered the auto-grade essay question from Gordon Bateson which offers an essay type question but with (some) auto grading. As you say and as Al suggests, is quiz really the right tool.
In reply to Marcus Green

by AL Rachels -
Hi Marcus,
For multiple essay questions and in-progress feedback, you might be better off using the Diary plugin.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)