Hide Course Categories

Hide Course Categories

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 2

I am trying to build a separate part of my site that will act like a membership site. I want to have the courses available in this section only visible to certain people (the members). Is there a way to hide course categories or a collection of courses so that only certain people can see them? I am assuming maybe another way to do this is to use Moodle Workplace and make a separate site for them?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Hide Course Categories

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Whitney,

You could create a custom role on your Moodle site for the members, eg, use the default Student role to create a new role called, say, 'Member'. Then make a category with the courses that only these members can see, and edit the permissions of this category to make it invisible to those with the Student role.

To edit category permissions, go to Manage Courses and Categories, click on the Gear icon next to the category that contains the Member-only courses -> Permissions -> Select the non-member role (eg, Student). Then choose Prevent for 'View list of courses you are not enrolled in'. I think this should work, but you might have to tinker with the permissions a bit more. Of course, when you are changing the permissions, you might want to check the effects on a dummy Student account and Member account.

Hope this helps,
Ravi
Average of ratings: Useful (1)