Notification of new comments

by James Thomas -
Number of replies: 5

Good evening,

My Moodle site will have quite a few wikis, none of which students can edit. But they will be able to Comment on any  page. 

Is there any way that course teachers and I can be notified of new comments? 

There are no references to wikis in the Default notification preferences. 

Thanks,

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Thomas

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
This is not possible, but there are some trackers about this. For example, this is for the Comments feature on the Assignment page: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-58351
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Notification of new comments

by James Thomas -
Thanks John. The link you sent is to a thread that started four years ago. I added to it, but see little reason to be optimistic. Cheers.
In reply to James Thomas

by James Thomas -
Hi John, The instructions I created do work now. I get notifications of new comments in Wikis. It's a bit tricky, but it works.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Thomas

by James Thomas -

I wrote these instructions for myself yesterday, and to share, once they work. 

Being notified of a new comment in a wiki.

1. Go to Administration => Reports => Event monitoring rules
  2. Click "add a new rule" 
  3. Fill in the form and Save changes.
  4. To be notified of the events you have created rules for, click on Event monitoring page, at the bottom of the page.
  5. Select a course from the drop down menu. At the bottom of this page you will see your events that you have not subscribed to. 
  6. Choose the modules that your rule applies to from the drop down list on the right. If you choose "All instances" all events of that module in that course will trigger a notification. 
  7. When the event occurs in the chosen place, you will get a notification in the usual way, i.e. your bell icon at the top right will light up. 

I created comments in several wikis that I created notifications for and didn't get any notification. 

In reply to James Thomas

by James Thomas -

Yesterday I created these instructions for myself, and to share, once they work. They are not working at the moment. 

Being notified of a new comment in a wiki.

1. Go to Administration => Reports => Event monitoring rules

2. Click "add a new rule" 

3. Fill in the form and Save changes.

1. A title you'll see in the list of rules

2. Choose Wiki from area to monitor

3. Choose Comment created from Event 

4. Write a description if you wish

5. Choose how many of these events need to occur before you are notified

6. Choose how long after the events take place before you are notified

7. Edit the notification if you wish, but keep the default fields.

8. Save changes

4. To be notified of the events you have created rules for, click on Event monitoring page, at the bottom of the page.

5. "Select a course" from the drop down menu. At the bottom of this page you will see your events that you can apply to the chosen course.

6. Choose the wikis that your rule applies to from the drop down list on the right. If you choose "All instances" all new comments on all wikis will trigger a notification. 

7. When the event occurs in the chosen place, you will get a notification in the usual way, i.e. your notification bell at the top right will light up. 

In your Profile, choose Notification preferences. Make sure the check box “Disable notification” is empty. At the bottom of this page, Event notifications => Notification of rule subscriptions. Turn this on. 

--------

I have followed my steps, created comments in the assigned wikis. No notifications. 

The only notification I get is that I have created a new rule. Unlike other notifications, it does not have anything clickable in it.