Looking for a software recommendation - I am looking for recommendations on a web-based reporting portal that will connect to a replicate of our Moodle site's database. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with anything that sounds approximately right? My high-level requirements are as follows:
- Includes user account management and a permissions/roles/capabilities system
- Can connect to and query a MySQL database (we only require read access to the database)
- Includes an interface that a data analyst who knows SQL could use to build reports based on the SQL data, which then can be made available to the end users
- End user access to reports can be controlled by something like permissions, entitlements, or org units (only certain users get access to certain reports)
- Allows the creation of dynamic reports, allowing end user to filter, drill down, and aggregate
- Open source would be great; open-source on the LAMP stack would be very interesting (but not totally required)
- REST and SOAP API connectors
- Data visualization features
- Supports SSO (single sign-on) - e.g. SAML, OpenID, or some other widely used standard
- Includes a report-building interface that does not require SQL knowledge
- We are not looking for a platform specifically designed to report on Moodle. We use quite a few non-standard plug-ins, and need to build our own reports.
- We're also familiar with community plugins like report_customsql - which is definitely useful, but we need dynamic reporting capabilities.
We really only require something fairly old school - we don't need big data, AI, or machine learning, we just need something that can connect to a MySQL database and build reports in a web portal without being a from-scratch custom application built in PHP/Laravel/Django or something. I feel like there must be some well known solution out there, but I'm not finding anything yet. I would love to hear any ideas you might have! Thanks.
Moodle version: Moodle 3.09, expecting to upgrade to 3.10 this year.
MySQL version: 5.7.25
All the best,