return function - sending messages to selected users

return function - sending messages to selected users

by E Hr -
Number of replies: 4

Hello. I work as a professor and I use our university`s Moodle website to send messages (invitations for distance learning classes) to students. The groups of students are not specified by our moderators as soon as groups are changing every 3-5 months, so each student just marks his group in the profile and I have to use the search function to find groups.  Before, I could send messages to users that were found in search section. After an update, this function disappeared as well as other searching features. So, now I have to write to each student separately which makes sending invitations much longer and, I suppose, increases the load on server. Could you, please, return the 'sending to selected students' function? Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to E Hr

Re: return function - sending messages to selected users

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Your Moodle site is badly designed. You need to "group" people somehow. There are many approaches:
- make a course per group and enrol the group in the course
- make a course per class, enrol them and build groups within the course
- group them sitewide, called cohorts
- etc

The administration need not to group every student. There are ways to get the students to enrol/group themselves - some need additional plug-ins like Group choice. Univ. students are mature enough for some "self organization".
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by E Hr -
Hi, Visvanath Ratnaweera,
thank you.

In my message I wrote that groups are changing constantly so it would be problematic to regroup them each time. Thus, it would be much better if searching functionality, namely sending a message to selected found users, would be returned back in further versions of Moodle.
In reply to E Hr

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Sorry for coming back late. Now I understand. Messaging is something I rarely use and can't say anything. But I don't see why an update blocks that work-flow. What was the upgrade exactly? Did you look at the corr. release notes?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by E Hr -
Hi, Visvanath Ratnaweera,
thank you for your response.

All I know is that the Moodle version is 3.10. It is fine that you didn't use this function, I am pretty sure that this work-flow was disabled by Moodle developers. I just tried to reach them (Moodle developers) here to ask them to return back this function. And, as I see, they don't respond here.