SQL help

SQL help

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 15
I want to do the following in one SQL statement (for efficiency reasons) but am too lazy to learn enough SQL to do it. Can someone help me please?

if ($states = get_records_list('question_states', 'event', '3,6')) {
            foreach ($states as $state) {
                set_field('question_sessions', 'isgraded', 1, 'attemptid', $state->attempt, 'questionid', $state->question);
            }
        }
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: SQL help

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I did not have an isgraded column but this might get you started

UPDATE mdl_question_sessions as se, mdl_question_states as st
SET se.isgraded=1
WHERE (st.event=3 or st.event=6) and st.attempt=se.attemptid and st.question=se.questionid

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gustav W Delius -
Thank you Anthony, that is simple enough. Basically I didn't know that one can join tables in UPDATE so easily.

You don't have an 'isgraded' field because that is just something that I am considering introducing tonight into the question_sessions table in order to cleanly distinguish between ungraded attempts and those that attracted a mark of 0. However I am also considering alternatives.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Gustav,

a word of caution - table joins in updates was only available from MySql 4.0.4. I actually can't find a statement of the minimum MySql version pre Moodle version 1.6 (>4.1.16), so I'm not sure if this actually matters.
In reply to Howard Miller

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Howard, you can find the requirements on moodle/admin/environment.php

Moodle Version 1.5.3+
NameInformationReportStatus
databasemysqlversion 3.23 is required and you are running 5.0.18OK
php
version 4.1.0 is required and you are running 5.1.2OK
php_extensionmbstringis recommended to be installed/enabledOK

Moodle Version 1.6 upwards
NameInformationReportStatus
databasemysqlversion 4.1.16 is required and you are running 5.0.18OK
php
version 4.3.0 is required and you are running 5.1.2OK
php_extensioniconvis recommended to be installed/enabledOK
php_extensionmbstringis recommended to be installed/enabledOK

In reply to koen roggemans

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Shouldn't that be in the documentation somewhere? Where's Helen tongueout

Anyway that settles it, no joins in updates before 1.6.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not a problem, I created one just to test the query as I figured you were up to something. Thanks for all that you do to continue to develop the quiz module. 
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gustav W Delius -
In the end I decided against introducing that extra field and instead I am using the 'event' field in the question_states table to determine whether a state has been graded. That is now in CVS.

But this little lesson on SQL was interesting nevertheless and what I have learned will be useful in the future. So thanks again for the help.

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Uhm,

not tested at all but, are you sure that the sentence will work under PostgreSQL properly? I hadn't seen such type of SQL updates (more than one table in the first line) before. It doesn't sound as "standard" SQL.

Something like this should be more usual:
UPDATE mdl_question_sessions se
SET se.isgraded = 1
WHERE EXISTS (
SELECT 'x'
FROM mdl_question_states st
WHERE st.attempt = se.attemptid AND
st.question = se.questionid AND
(st.event=3 OR st.event=6)
)

or this:
UPDATE mdl_question_sessions se
SET se.isgraded = 1
WHERE (se.attemptid, se.questionid) IN (
SELECT st.attempt, st.question
FROM mdl_question_states st
WHERE st.event=3 or st.event=6
)

(not tested at all, aliases could work differently in PostgreSQL!)

(I use to prefer the 1st one)

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Tim Hunt -
RTM. The join syntax is find in Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-update.html

(and the subquery syntax probably does not work in MySQL.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hey,

What is the meaning of RTM?

Subqueries are available since MySQL 4.1.12 so it shouldn't be a problem to use them under Moodle 1.6. Also, I haven't found anything in the PostgreSQL doc allowing the initial sentence syntax to work.

Were you pointing to that page for any other reason, RTM perhaps? Just if I knew its meaning.... wink

Ciao smile

by Tim Hunt -
What is the meaning of RTM?

"Read the manual." Some people insert an F as the third letter to make it ruder.

Were you pointing to that page for any other reason?

Yes, that page gives the documentation for the Postgres update command. If you look at the paragrpahs about the fromlist and condition parts of the syntax, that makes it clear that the join syntax works.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Oh, not need to write the F at all! I consider it's enough rude without it. wink

Also, perhaps we are talking about different sentences, dear Tim, because I cannot find any fromlist in the initial sentence suggested in this discussion.

Anyway, both the fromlist solution from PostgreSQL and the suggestions posted at the beginning (MySQL) seem to be proprietary solutions not working in other DBs. That was the reason I wrote my suggestions. The sub-query alternatives sound like the best solution, at least in my non-expert, non-rtm, humble, non-sql-guy opinion.

And finally, is it true that "that makes it clear that the join syntax works", have you tried it? Perhaps could we TIF before OOM? tongueout big grin clown tongueout big grin clown

Ciao smile

P.S: I haven't PostgreSQL so I cannot TIF, but I'm pretty sure that you can. The curiosity is killing me, does it work?

by Tim Hunt -
I consider it's enough rude without it.

I know, and I did not mean to be rude, particularly to you. I am just having a bad week month, but that is no excuse.

I have just tried, and both syntaxes work. However, in the moodle context, your subquery syntax is better, and in the bit of code I have already written that needed to do this, I just found I was using the subquery syntax:

delete_records_select('workflow_state_transitions',
"instanceid IN (SELECT id FROM {$CFG->prefix}workflow_task_instances WHERE courseid = '$courseid')");

That fits reasonably well with the dataloib api. However, it is quite hard to turn

DELETE FROM mdl_workflow_task_state_transitions
USING mdl_workflow_task_instances AS ti
WHERE mdl_workflow_task_state_transitions.instanceid = ti.id AND ti.courseid = '1';
into a datalib function call.

I suppose the important distinction would be if one gives much better performance, but I doubt it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hey Tim,

no problem at all, sincerely! It was an entertaining discussion, just it. And that type of discussions are really great to take some distance (a break*) from the tedious-daily-stress and to spend some minutes talking, discussing and, why not, being a bit rude (without losing the humour, of course). cool

Cheers and ciao smile

* In Spanish to do a break we use the expression "to do a parenthesis". Just wondering if it would be the same in English too... thoughtful
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jun Yamog -
Normally in postgresql "in" syntax is slower than "join", in particular if the returning dataset gets a bit big.  There are other factors such as proper use of indexes, vacuum analyze.  I think the performance difference is now smaller on 7.4.x of postgresql.

Deleting would normally not happen everytime, so I guess the performance aspect is not much of an issue.