General help

Picture of Andrea Hall
Deleting Courses

Not sure where to put this question. We have lots of 'practise' courses and want to delete them (like over 150) How can our administrator delete several at one time instead doing it one by one and taking for ever?mixed

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ger Tielemans
Re: Deleting Courses

A related question: if a backup/restore operation fails, deleting the course sometimes breaks before the end: how to find/kill the corrupt course fragments in the database?

Picture of Ger Tielemans

What I mean is this: can I just do a database operation like: "for all tables kill the records with courseid=X" and trust that all course X related records are killed? (And - as final step - I only have to remove the resources in the datadir?)

Picture of Andrea Hall

Still hoping for help in deleting many courses at once! (like 100 old workshops)
Thanks

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
What sort of access do you have to the server in question? If you can uploade new PHP files, then make one that incudles moodlelib and then calls the delete_course function for each courseid you want to get rid of.

Just make sure you don't screw up without taking a backup first.

Picture of Andrea Hall

Sorry, we don't have PHP experts on campus, so any more details on this suggestion?

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Andrea,

Perhaps you could speed up the process of deleting courses one by one by opening the delete confirmation pages in new tabs. It's rather tedious deleting a large number of courses but it need not take forever. wink

Picture of Keith Richardson

Actually, I am having trouble simply deleting a course. I have admin status, so it should be easy, but maybe I am ...blind??...
help!!! How do I do that!
Keith

Picture of Daniele Cordella
Group Developers
Ciao Keith
go to course categories and "Turn editing on"!!!!!

Picture of Amarbir Singh

how do you turn editing on?

Picture of James Tasto

Did you ever solve this problem? We are using version 1.7+ and cannot delete courses.

Picture of Cristi Magherusan

Maybe it's too late, but maybe anyone is having the same problem.
In 1.9 you can do it if you edit the parent category and click the X button in your course's entry.

Picture of Rosalyn Metz

I stumbled upon this forum when I was looking for the same thing. For anyone else that stumbles upon this forum. There is a great block developed out of LSU called backadel. This allows you to back up and delete courses in bulk.

CONTRIB-605

Also make sure that you vote for this in the Moodle Tracker. It would be a shame to NOT have this added to Moodle.

Picture of Eric Strom

I find this still cumbersome in moodle 2.3.

A trick I use is:

1. Create a new category named something obvious like "To Be Deleted".
  2. Move your courses you want deleted to this new category.
  3. Delete the entire category along with the courses within.

Get's them all in one shot.

- Eric